PDA

View Full Version : the skinny on ipods

Specialsauce
February 19th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Yet another ipod thread.....

I just wanted to see what the public opinion on ipods with linux was....

Is it better to use ITunes through Wine, or use GTKPod?
Will Itunes through wine work properly in synchine an ipod?
What Ipod features aren accesible through using GTKPod, if any?
Will GTKPod work with transfering videos to an ipod video?

discuss ipods and linux.

endersshadow
February 19th, 2006, 10:43 PM
For video iPod support in Ubuntu, check out my guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=114946). gtkpod does a lot, and is getting better by the day. There are a few of us working on making iPod support more seamless and better in Linux, but right now, it's very usable...we're just trying to make it better, and hopefully, we can reach our goals :-D

Stormy Eyes
February 19th, 2006, 10:51 PM
I favor gtkpod. iTunes on Windows is unforgivably slow, so why should I use it under WINE?

xequence
February 19th, 2006, 11:05 PM
iTunes in windows is uberly slow as stormy said. It is way slower in crossover.

But I dont have an ipod, so, heh.

majikstreet
February 19th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I use gtkpod. I don't have a video ipod.

Iandefor
February 19th, 2006, 11:07 PM
I like iTunes in some ways, but won't run it through WINE when GTKPod lets me export music from my iPod.

wmcbrine
February 20th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Gtkpod trashed my iPod (after reinitializing it from my Mac and reloading it, I still have a bunch of cross-linked songs), but that might have more to do with using an HFS+-formatted iPod under Linux instead of formatting it with FAT -- I figure Linux has better drivers for FAT. Other than that, I like it.

(It's an HP-branded iPod, meant for use in Windows, so it amused me to leave it as HFS+ -- something you can't even use in Windows. But in retrospect, it may have been a mistake.)

endersshadow
February 20th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Gtkpod trashed my iPod (after reinitializing it from my Mac and reloading it, I still have a bunch of cross-linked songs), but that might have more to do with using an HFS+-formatted iPod under Linux instead of formatting it with FAT -- I figure Linux has better drivers for FAT. Other than that, I like it.

(It's an HP-branded iPod, meant for use in Windows, so it amused me to leave it as HFS+ -- something you can't even use in Windows. But in retrospect, it may have been a mistake.)

Yes, yes that was a mistake :lol:

kassetra
February 20th, 2006, 02:36 AM

Hmmmmm. gtkpod trashed my friend's ipod - so I used gnupod with my ipod mini and nano. Both of them were left in hfs+ (since everything I had found out about hfs+ in linux was far more robust, once it's enabled, than FAT.) I've not had a single error - even when moving the ipods between my linux box and the ibook - they have co-mingled swimmingly.

I have heard some odd things about the HP-branded ipods though (that they use a different set of firmware) - so that, combined with gtkpod might have been the issue (or maybe wrong version of ipod with gtkpod, etc., etc.)

the real case is the fact that once you attempt to use an ipod on a linux box, you're taking your warranty into your own hands since apple will not release software that works with the ipod for linux. ;)