PDA

View Full Version : Gimp's Filter all Layers plugin doesn't work

Westerberg
February 19th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Filter all Layers, in case you didn't know, is a plugin that gets installed when you install Gimp GAP. As its name implies, it allows you to apply a filter -- such as gausian blur or pixelize -- to all the layers of your image. In addition it has a feature that allows for the filters to be applied in varying degrees from the first layer to the last, which provides for some cool animated effects. It's analogous to the Tween feature of Photoshop's Imageready.

Here's the thing. I can't get it to work very well in Ubuntu. Filter all Layers will handle some filters fine, such as pixelize. Others, such as spread, work only partially. (If I use the Apply Constant option with spread, it does the job; if I use the Apply Varying option, only the first and last layers get spread. The layers in between are ignored.) Others, such as the gausian blur filters fail completely. No filtering of any layers. The plugin-gaus-* starts and then stops with no result.

I've witnessed this problem on two different Ubuntu machines. I've been able to use Filter all Layers with Gimp installed on a Windows XP machine and I know of people with other Linux distros who have been able to use it. So the problem is not with the plugin itself. Has it been improperly implemented in Ubuntu? Has anyone else had similar problems with this plugin? Can anyone shed light on this?