PDA

View Full Version : Mythtv-setup no channel scanning...

beerse
November 18th, 2009, 12:31 AM
As in 2 other threads, I have problems setting up analog channels. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1325556 and http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1315329).

While running mythtv-setup, scanning for the channels, in the mythtv-setup-terminal I see the next line roughly at the moment I press the scan button:
========
DTVParamHelper::toString() index out of bounds
========
There are 2 differences to previous installations:
- the current is 64 bits, previous ones have been 32 bits
- the current uses native (dutch) interface, previous was (default) english.

Is this a bug, a feature or something to get around in some other way?

I donnot expect this to be due to 64 bits installattion, I have the idea this is due to the localizing to dutch, however I donnot have a clue how.

As this is during setup, a workaround is acceptable for me, if someone has something, please report.

btw: unfortunately I did not expect this and liked a fresh install hence did no bother to take a backup...

For what its worth, the card is a haupauge 500 (the dual tuner one)

SiHa
November 18th, 2009, 01:31 PM
You're scanning for analogue channels?
You have a Hauppauge Nova-T 500?

That's your problem, the Nova-T is a DVB-T card, and needs to be stup as a 'DVB MPEG Capture card V3.x' in the backend setup.

beerse
November 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
No,sorry, not the dvbt card, I have the pvr500, effectively 2 times pvr150 on one card. Works nice if I get it going... Anyhow, it is an analog card which needs some channel information.

btw: I just found a matching bug report at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mythtv/+bug/452779

bcambre
November 19th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Have had exactly the same issue with my pvr-500. Progress bar would stay at 0% when scanning channels.

Installed an older 8 something version (which i then upgraded to 9.04), this went perfect for scanning the channels and setting it up. Very reluctant to upgrade to 9.10 though.

Only way to force scanning channels with 9.10 is to run a manual full scan in the background using ivtv-tune

thusgaard
November 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM
This is a very annoying bug. And I'm considering a downgrade and then an update. If I can get 8.04 working I might just stay with it since its a LTS

J;-)

PS I know I'll be "killed" for saying so. But my friend has the same hardware setup as me and it works with windows 7. The machine originaly came with XP Home.

thusgaard
November 19th, 2009, 10:04 PM
If just done manual tuning of the channels. Works very well. Thanks for the links.

Jim_Rogers
November 19th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I don't know if this is of any help, but I was having the same problem and I have a pvr-500. I'd go to the scan page and try to scan and nothing would happen.

However, if I hit the "fetch channels" button next to it, it gives you no indication it's doing anything (other than holding up the computer for a few seconds), but after that all the channels are there.

If you go to the scan channels page, it still shows nothing, but all the channels are there and it works.

thusgaard
November 20th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Fetch channels dosn't work in Denmark

outleradam
November 23rd, 2009, 04:35 AM
I've got the same issue. I have a HVR-1600 card.

outleradam
November 24th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I've got the same issue. It's really annoying. I wish there was some resoloution. I switched to Ubuntu just for Mythtv.

outleradam
November 25th, 2009, 01:19 AM
There was no mythtv.org ticket. I opened one.

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7658

dvanbrunt
November 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Only way to force scanning channels with 9.10 is to run a manual full scan in the background using ivtv-tune

How exactly does this work? I am installing the ivtv-utils package now to make this possible... not sure what to do next or how this will affect what gets into the Mythtv datbase...

I had a working system 3 days ago, backed up all my movies and figured I could re-record all my shows eventually... but now, no tuners!

REALLY took a hit on the WAF... ("why don't we just go buy a TIVO... this doesn't even work")... ouch.

Scanning in the backend-setup just hangs at 5%...

So with the "manual scan in the background"... does doing "ivtv-tune" on the command line once just solve the problem? Or is there more?

mmoe8800
January 31st, 2010, 12:46 AM
save this to a file and run it with perl ./tvscan.pl

#tvscan.pl
foreach $channel (0..1000) {
system('ivtv-tune -d /dev/video1 -f ' . $channel);
}

change the video1 for 0 when scanning for the first device on hauphauge pvr 500 and others like it.

/Mike