PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mobile Broadband Problem 9.04

jamere
November 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Hi Folks,
I have an Acer Aspire One netbook (model ZG8) with Windows XP and upon reading about all the 9.10 wireless problems, decided to drop back to 9.04 to install. I downloaded and installed from the 9.04 desktop image and the install went very smoothly. I set up a "side-by-side" dual boot with XP in order to preserve my Wireless broadband connection at all costs (which i'm glad i did). Both XP and 9.04 boot fine.

Problem: The Mobile Broadband connection still works on XP (i'm using it as i write this), but doesn't initialize on 9.04. There's an icon with four bars and little red X in the panel. I right-clicked this icon and clicked the Mobile Broadband tab and there was nothing there. I added an AT&T entry and a connection name for "AT&T" was generated. Since I've never used a mobile broadband connection on linux, I really don't know what to look for or expect. Don't even know if that's the correct icon in the panel.

Anyway, I feel like i'm close as there's a "nw-manager" process that's "sleeping". Is there a communication manager window that comes up in linux as in XP? Anyone have a suggestion for getting this connection initialized? Thanks much for any help.

BTW, it looks like there's a built-in Qualcomm HS-USB Modem 9212, if that's any help.

jamere
November 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Typo: should be 'Model ZG8'
should be 'nm-applet'