PDA

View Full Version : The Pirate Bay shuts down for good

sledge73
November 17th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Today is a sad day for torrent users everywhere (IMO). In the article they are also trying to talk other torrent sites to do the same. Not the end of torrents for good I'm sure, but defiantly the end of an era.

http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-tracker-shuts-down-for-good-091117/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak% 29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Paqman
November 17th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Er, if by "shutting down" you mean "not shutting down", then sure.

sledge73
November 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I have the same question? I was a little slow on the research. My bad

Bachstelze
November 17th, 2009, 11:32 AM
And nothing of value was lost.

gnomeuser
November 17th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I've often used their tracker to distribute CC content like video recordings of Lessig talks and such. I was always very happy with their service.

lovinglinux
November 18th, 2009, 03:15 AM
The Pirate Bay is not shutting down for good, they shut down the tracker. This was predicted for some time now. Besides, there are already at least two new open torrent trackers that are taking over tpb torrents. They were created after they announced the site would be sold and the tracker service would be discontinued.

Regenweald
November 18th, 2009, 03:21 AM
They have gone nowhere, just switched to magnet links. which I am not too familiar with. will do a little reading.

anders_c_
November 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Been trying all day to download a magnet link in rtorrent, it says on TPB that rtorrent supports it. If someone finds a good howto please post it here, thanks!

SeanHodges
November 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM

Just their hashes

Zoot7
November 18th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I don't think it'll be long before the likes of Demonoid and Miniova follow. Trackerless torrents are becoming all the range now anyway, no matter what kind of garbage the entertainment industry gets up to.

Hallvor
November 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Today is a sad day for torrent users everywhere (IMO). In the article they are also trying to talk other torrent sites to do the same. Not the end of torrents for good I'm sure, but defiantly the end of an era.

http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-tracker-shuts-down-for-good-091117/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak% 29&utm_content=Google+Reader

End of an era? They only shut down the tracker. TPB will continue to index torrents, but they will be tracked by others. Besides, many torrent clients don`t even need trackers anymore because of DHT.

Kdar
November 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Kind of misleading article. The Pirate Bay still will be around.

handy
November 19th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Demonoid has been down for a month or so, since their server crashed, they are in the obviously long drawn out process of recovering as best they can. Their backup was a couple of months or so out of date, so there will be losses one way & another.

They are committed to returning, so any rumours of Demonoid closing down are (according to them) lies.

Which is good news.

SunnyRabbiera
November 19th, 2009, 10:18 AM

People did use piratebay for ligit and legal stuff though, couple linuxes were on piratebay.

handy
November 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM
People did use piratebay for ligit and legal stuff though, couple linuxes were on piratebay.

Lot's of distro's on Demonoid, & the *buntus are up there quick smart after a new release also.

SeanHodges
November 19th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Lot's of distro's on Demonoid, & the *buntus are up there quick smart after a new release also.

I thought Demonoid was off-line?

handy
November 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I thought Demonoid was off-line?

See post_13 above. :)