PDA

View Full Version : Installing 9.10 using entire disk = system can't boot

DaveQB
November 17th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I am trying out mythbuntu for the first time.

I did a test install on an old 10gig disk, choosing to use the whole disk. All looked good. Then on the reboot grub doesn't get going.

Didn't bother troubleshooting, figured the drive must be done. So grabbed a 320gig out of a raid and did the same thing with the same result.

I haven't had time to try booting and installing grub on the MBR or checking to see if the disks even have a menu.list or a kernel even, but just wondering if this a known bug or not.

Thanks

prshah
November 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I did a test install on an old 10gig disk, Then on the reboot grub doesn't get going.

but just wondering if this a known bug or not.

I haven't run across any bugs with the Mythbuntu installer; however, I have a suggestion: Make sure that "Virus protection" / "Boot sector write protect" / "Sector 0 readonly" options (or combinations thereof) are turned off in the BIOS.

You can re-enable it after installation, but it not really of much use, no matter what operating system you use.

DaveQB
November 17th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks prshah
It is odd.

The exact system has been running MythTV installed ontop of a very thin Ubuntu 8.04 install with the only change being the HDD.

I am about to put one of the HDD's in an eSata enclosure and take a look at its contents on my Desktop.

DaveQB
November 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Well it seems like we are missing the menu.list file.

Also weird are the files found in /boot/grub, they are like drivers for FS's and all.

ls /media/disk/boot/grub/
915resolution.mod bufio.mod drivemap.mod grubenv linux.mod normal.mod probe.mod tar.mod vga_text.mod
acpi.mod cat.mod echo.mod gzio.mod lnxboot.img ntfscomp.mod pxeboot.img terminfo.mod video_fb.mod
affs.mod cdboot.img efiemu32.o halt.mod loadenv.mod ntfs.mod pxecmd.mod test.mod video.mod
afs_be.mod chain.mod efiemu64.o handler.lst loopback.mod ohci.mod pxe.mod tga.mod videotest.mod
afs.mod cmp.mod efiemu.mod handler.mod lsmmap.mod part_acorn.mod raid5rec.mod true.mod xfs.mod
aout.mod command.lst elf.mod hdparm.mod ls.mod part_amiga.mod raid6rec.mod udf.mod xnu.mod
ata.mod configfile.mod ext2.mod hello.mod lspci.mod part_apple.mod raid.mod ufs1.mod xnu_uuid.mod
ata_pthru.mod core.img extcmd.mod help.mod lvm.mod part_gpt.mod read.mod ufs2.mod zfsinfo.mod
at_keyboard.mod cpio.mod fat.mod hexdump.mod mdraid.mod partmap.lst

Its like it hasn't completed the setup....

I'll chroot and see if I can fix grub.

DaveQB
November 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Oh..

Dusilmenni
November 18th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Hi.
I have exactly the same problem.
Installed Mythbuntu 9.10 on a 160Gb Sata drive and dedicated the entire drive for Mythbuntu.
Everything installs smoothly and after the configuration period I reboot. After that I only get the "Grub" prompt and the system stalls.
I have installed Mythbuntu on a old h/w with a 20Gb disk, no problems there. I even configured a VMware machine to run Mythbuntu for testing, no problems.
I found nothing in BIOS that could be messing with the drives and my knowledge on anything Linux is limited.
I hope that you can find a solution to this which I can apply to my system, cant wait to get this roaring in my livingroom :)

Regards,
Dusilmenni.

DaveQB
November 18th, 2009, 09:18 AM
What I did was choose manual paritioning.
I didn't even need to use any mental resources on allocating partitions as I kept what the install made before, labelled slash and swap and ....

Oh yeah, at the end, I chose the Advanced tab and made sure the Boot loader was installed on the MBR on the right disk. Its defualt was hd(0,0) but I didn't have grubs device.map handy, so who knows which disk tha twas, so I stipulated the right disk for my system, /dev/sdc

Try that.

Dusilmenni
November 18th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

AJ1000
November 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM
If you want to reinstall grub using the live cd look here:

http://platonic.techfiz.info/2009/11/06/reinstaling-grub-using-ubuntu-9-10/

This worked for me.

DaveQB
November 19th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Re-installing grub only was a thought, but
1) I wasn't sure if it was the only problem, I am not familiar with grub2 yet to troubleshoot it well.
2) I wanted to know if it was an issue with the install method I chose. IT seems so and I guess now I should report it as a bug.

Thanks

DaveQB
November 19th, 2009, 12:17 AM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/485083

SiHa
November 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I've installed 9.10 on two separate systems (BE/FE and FE only) unsing the 'Entire Disk' method, with no problems. The only notable difference from your install is that I pulled any other drives prior to the install. There is a fairly well-documented bug with GRUB (not sure if it affects GRUB2), where the bootloader sometimes ends up on the wrong drive, especially if you have a combination of IDE/SATA drives.
I'm just paranoid, I prefer to make sure an OS has only one drive to worry about when I install it!

Zimmer
December 3rd, 2009, 03:20 AM
Check you have the boot flag set for the install drive. Use the LiveCD and gparted...

DaveQB
December 4th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Yes I could and did do that, but isn't that the point of the installer?