PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] A sure sign of impending doom--or just a glitch???

Chris Edgell
November 16th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I was just reading in Google, when I clicked on a certain document and my computer took me to the bottom of a long article. Then everything I clicked on, my computer took me immediately to the bottom of the page-- including this Beginner's Forum. I went off-line and clicked on a file and the page filled up with multiple copies of the file. I logged off then booted up again and the curser was frozen on the desktop. The next time I did this I came back to a normal-acting situation.

This is a reconditioned machine that I only got about two months ago. Shall I be very concerned that this happened? Shall I take it back to him right away, or wait and see if it happens again...or could that be too late, that I should be considering THIS to be my lucky break?

Sir Jasper
November 16th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Hi Chris,

If you use Firefox you could use the NoScript add-on, since that is generally recommended.

If you cannot replicate the problem then there is proabably no point in worrying, but that is merely my non-expert view.

My regards

Chris Edgell
November 16th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Oh, Hi to you too,

Where do I find that no-script add-on? [I COULD even ask, WHAT is is?]
Thanks for your input.

philinux
November 16th, 2009, 03:10 PM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

Personally I dont use this but it's there for those who feel the need.

It's very good and you can customise it or turn it on and off at will.

phillw
November 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

Personally I dont use this but it's there for those who feel the need.

It's very good and you can customise it or turn it on and off at will.

I find it good for stopping those annoying flash adverts :D

Paqman
November 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Have you tried a different mouse?

Chris Edgell
November 16th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I went and read about that add-on...I guess it is designed to stop, what? viruses??
Here's how I see it: Computer--mouse--hardware; virus--software, (Is this true?)
Could what I described be caused by either hardware or software...I must assume so, since these are the fixes you've suggested.

Could a virus do all THAT, but then seem to be completely gone? Could a mouse cause all those strange effects? Have many of you experienced such strange "freezings"...and then unfreezing?

Paqman
November 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Could a mouse cause all those strange effects?

It's one possibility, you're describing strange reactions to inputs you're giving. It's worth ruling out anyway.

Chris Edgell
November 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Thank you Paqman, I appreciate your input.