PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] system says battery may be broken

kapi
November 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Installed 9.10. It's Fantastic!

my system loads in 6 second to the login. Anyway when I am logged in I receive a message " battery at 36% may be broken" or words to that effect. There's nothing wrong with my battery.

It occurs when the desktop is loaded and I presume it's loading the wireless drivers and battery etc.

I know it's just a glitch - any ideas?

ukripper
November 16th, 2009, 02:10 PM
There is abug reported for this on launchpad - check this - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/437745

fromthehill
November 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM
It just means that the current maximum capacity is 36% from the capacity it was supposed to be when you bought it.

there is probably nothing wrong with your battery. it just wont last as long as when you bought it.

type this in a console window to view your battery information
cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info

edit: too late :P

kapi
November 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks,

At least the development team are aware of it now, so that's a start.

Kapi

ukripper
November 16th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks,

At least the development team are aware of it now, so that's a start.

Kapi

I would still encourage you to add your comments to that bug. It should help make 10.04 better.

Rinzwind
November 16th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hmmm. I fell for it: I ordered a new battery. I needed a 2nd one though so it was planned too ;)

Mine shows:

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info
present: yes
design capacity: 7800 mAh
last full capacity: 3054 mAh
battery technology: rechargeable
design voltage: 11100 mV
design capacity warning: 780 mAh
design capacity low: 236 mAh
capacity granularity 1: 78 mAh
capacity granularity 2: 78 mAh
model number: DELL UW2808
serial number: 56
battery type: LION
OEM info: Sanyo

ukripper
November 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Hmmm. I fell for it: I ordered a new battery. I needed a 2nd one though so it was planned too ;)

it is always good to have two;)

Rinzwind
November 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM
it is always good to have two;)

I need 2 anyways. LOL. I always end up with no power in the middle of my journey, Now I end up very short though so it became more urgent to get me a 2nd battery :X

I sure hope this gets fixed quickly. Very quickly. See my battery is old (2 years almost) so it somehow did not come as a surprise (also cuz it once had a hit when my notebook fell),

But bogus messages like this is something that's going to annoy me very soon and then I will be looking around for another Linux release ;)

zl1ogx
January 13th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Been looking through the forum for a fix for this, tried one of them but no joy on my eeepc 4g.

So anyone know of a fix that works?

Ian

tom.swartz07
January 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Been looking through the forum for a fix for this, tried one of them but no joy on my eeepc 4g.

So anyone know of a fix that works?

Ian

there isnt much *to* fix. the only real way to make sure that it doesnt happen is to verify that your battery's capacity is truly at a critical point (anything below 50%) and if so, buy a new one.

Other than that, Youre pretty much relegated to acknowledging that you know your battery is broken.

Hope this helps!

grekko
February 5th, 2010, 12:36 PM
there isnt much *to* fix. the only real way to make sure that it doesnt happen is to verify that your battery's capacity is truly at a critical point (anything below 50%) and if so, buy a new one.

Other than that, Youre pretty much relegated to acknowledging that you know your battery is broken.

Hope this helps!

This isn't so much a fix as it only removes the warning message but, if you are so pissed off with it appearing at each boot here's a link that will show you how to stop it popping up.

http://linux.aldeby.org/get-rid-of-your-battery-may-be-broken-notification.html

zl1ogx
May 3rd, 2010, 12:51 AM
Just installed 10.04 netbook remix on my eeepc 4g and still getting the broken battery error. King of thought that this was being looked at.

finalwebsites
May 8th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I have the same problem for my ASUS eee
the warning says that my battery has only 2.3% capacity, but this informationis wrong, still can use the laptop for 90-120 minutes

newtesla
May 18th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Just to confirm: Eee 701 4G, 10.04 on 8GB SD card, battery had juice for over 2 hours, yet it constantly said that it is broken and had only 1.9% of capacity.
But, when clicked on battery icon and chose "laptop baterry" - it stated 9% (but it was over 1 1/2 hours running on battery already), energy when full 0.8Wh, and design energy 43.7Wh.

And it still runs for over 2 hours.

I think that the only correct measurement is voltage - soon after 6.9V reached, it went off - now charging, and it says 40% for 7.9V, which I think is ok.

Anyway, bug.

finalwebsites
May 18th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Just installed my old Pentium4 latptop with ubuntu and I get the message that the capacity of my battery is less than 25% and that the battery might be broken.

The battery has 0% capacity and is broken, I think it's just a bug for several types of batteries. It's just disturbing that the message shows up after every start.

s.fox
May 18th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Hello,

I noticed this yesterday on my AA1. My battery was 40% charged and I received a notification that it was broken.

-Silver Fox