PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] encrypted home directory

spirosdenaxas
November 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hello,

during setup (9.10 server), I chose to have the home directory of the main user encrypted. Truly, this does happen as i can see it when running mount that the fs is ecryptfs.

However I am getting increasingly worried as I don't recall choosing a password and I am unsure what passphrase is used for encryption. I would like to be able to know what is used so I can back it up safely. I have tried reading the documentation and most of it refers on making a new directory encrypted and now during the main setup.

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
S.

-- EDIT --

passphrase can be retrieved using ecryptfs-unwrap-passphrase

HermanAB
November 16th, 2009, 09:54 PM
The password is not saved anywhere. What is saved is a hash of the password. Therefore the password cannot be retrieved.

Soooooo, you need to back-up your data since you will lose it on a reboot!

Next time, write it down and keep it in your wallet.

spirosdenaxas
December 7th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Next time, write it down and keep it in your wallet.

Write one down? As I mentioned, it was not mentioned anywhere.

Spiros

paradigm2
December 7th, 2009, 01:33 AM
The documentation for the encryption is confusing because it is hard to know what is for 8.10, 9.04, or 9.10. They all have significant differences. It would be nice to get a updated set of docs for 9.10 only. Does anyone have a link to this?

Penguinsunite
December 9th, 2009, 12:42 AM
there is another way. since the password is stored as a hash value, you can google a program to recieve the hash values and therefore retrieve your password.

Dr Small
December 10th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Probably, most likely, the passphrase for your encrypted home is the same as your account password, since you did not have to enter a specificly different password to decrypt your home.