PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updates and Package Installer Problem

cloudsymph
November 16th, 2009, 04:57 AM
hey there everyone. earlier i've posted a thread on my wired internet not working, which from help i have resolved it, as it seemed to have been a problem with the ipv6. the following thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8262760#post8262760

now there is something else i have a problem with. as the title states it's to do with updating and the package installer. the problem is, though i can use the internet for browsing and such now, i can't install anything nor can i update.

in the thread above i said that when i was in the package installer, when i click on something i want to install, there is no "install" or "uninstall" button, and after a bit of playing around i managed to get those two buttons. however the installation when i decide to install would not continue nor would i be able to download the specific program.

this is the same with the updates. the OS picks up what i need to install but i am unable to download and install the files.

also this is the message i'm getting with trying to install compizconfig-settings-manager and adobe-flash. adobe was downloaded from the adobe website, but it seems that there was still a need to download packages after getting the flash file from their website.

requires installation of untrusted packages
the action would require the installation of packages from not authenticated sources.

>details
compizconfig-settings-manager python-compizconfig

with adobe flash

the action would require the installation of packages from not authenticated sources.

>details
flashplugin-installer

so yeah, if anyone could shed some light on this that would be great. also i've currently got win7 installed on the laptop that i want to use ubuntu on (dell inspiron 640 m), so posting back results from the command line may take a while (as i will reinstall ubuntu 9.10).

and one last thing. if there is any commands you would like me to type in the terminal, please write me the full set of commands to type, i'm a terminal noob you see =D.

oh yes and thanks in advance.

madScientist3
November 19th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I have the same problem and got no reply to my post. I disabled my ipv6 (because my router does not support it) and my internet, skype and network are fine. However I cannot update. I can do an occasional apt-get update but I have to go to software sources, choose other, select the best option then do the apt-get immediately. But update manager will not connect to do updates. I have tried wired as well as wireless with same results, as well as connecting at work.
I am stuck as to a solution.

johnofwax
February 25th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Posting to help others:
I just received the same error message. I used apt-get on the command line to install what i needed, but I didnt want to have to revert to that all the time. I like browsing the software manager for games and stuff. So after installing 2 packages on the command line, I went searching for the issue.
My steps were:
System>Administration>Software Sources
I had "Proprietary Drivers" and "Software Restricted by copyright or legal issues" checked.
I unchecked the two of these. I then went to the Authentication tab. I clicked "restore defaults", although nothing changed.
I closed the window, and tried the Software manager again.
Worked like a charm. Don't know how the settings were changed in the first place, but whatever. Hope it helps somebody browsing, since at this moment, this is google's #1 result for the error message.

lazymangaka
May 10th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I had the same problem, and those steps--for whatever reason--worked perfectly. I was attempting to install K9Copy and received the same error message.

videomusik
June 1st, 2010, 09:18 AM
I just had the same problem today, and the steps in the above post worked like a charm. Thanks.

PC_Genius
June 1st, 2010, 03:04 PM
I am also having this problem. I'm quite frustrated at this. My story is:

Basically this morning I started up my laptop and went on facebook, I found a new notification and it was my friend writting to me (to cut the story short), I replied back to him but forgot to click "Send message". Left my laptop for about 10 minutes, Came back, logged back on (Since it went on screen saver) and and my keyboard suddenly wouldnt write anything. I didn't experiment on this since I thought a restart of the computer would solve this problem. I restarted my computer and my keyboard started working again. Little did I know that other things stopped working, like for starters my Wireless driver suddenly disappeared from my Network icon, only the "Wired connection" was displayed. Then my sound driver was unistalled. I looked into it and it seems my computer had updated without me knowing and this update had unistalled my wireless broadcom driver and sound. I plugged in my laptop to the ethernet (Since thats the only way I could get on my router) And tried to download several wireless programs from ubuntu software centre, and I am getting the same message that other people on this thread have been getting.

My post may have to be moved to another thread. But I would like a suggestion to either my Wireless problem/Sound problem Or my Ubuntu Software Centre error. The error is "Requires installation of untrusted packages. The action would require the installation of packages from not authenticated sources."

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PC_Genius
June 1st, 2010, 03:10 PM
I tried what Johnofwax posted and like others, it worked like a charm! Thanks! I'll keep you updated on my wireless problem/sound problem. Thanks!

V.V.V.
June 9th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I've had the same problem when tried to install the restricted extras. As for me it worked ok just to open the "Software Sources" window, uncheck the "Software restricted by copyright or legal issues (multiverse)", close the window saving settings, open the "Software Sources" window again, check the checkbox back and close the window. Thanks, johnofwax!

Jakiejake
June 24th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Posting to help others:
I just received the same error message. I used apt-get on the command line to install what i needed, but I didnt want to have to revert to that all the time. I like browsing the software manager for games and stuff. So after installing 2 packages on the command line, I went searching for the issue.
My steps were:
I had "Proprietary Drivers" and "Software Restricted by copyright or legal issues" checked.
I unchecked the two of these. I then went to the Authentication tab. I clicked "restore defaults", although nothing changed.
Worked like a charm. Don't know how the settings were changed in the first place, but whatever. Hope it helps somebody browsing, since at this moment, this is google's #1 result for the error message.

Worked!

stuhpa
June 25th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Posting to help others:
My steps were:

Works like a charm
Ty

ArionKrause
August 9th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Worked for me as well!

torgis
September 21st, 2010, 07:03 PM
worked for me as well. thanks mate!

coolman98
October 1st, 2010, 07:17 PM
works great but I still kinda need multiverdse

agreenbhm
October 1st, 2010, 11:58 PM
works great but I still kinda need multiverdse

Re-check the options when you're done.

apiccirilli
October 8th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Posting to help others:
My steps were:

Same problem, and this worked like a charm for me - and I also checked the Proprietary Drivers & Software Restricted... back to how they were. Odd bug!

patC42
October 8th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Still works cheers and thanx

vegasmartn
October 25th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Hi,
I am getting those errors a lot while using software manager. Solution provided in this post didn't work for me while trying to get audacity.

I am having more luck with actual terminal rather than software center.

Command that worked:

sudo apt-get install audacity

yanike
October 26th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Posting to help others:
My steps were:

Thanks johnofwax!

Also, I found if you change the download server to "Main Server" it will help as well. If it's already on "Main Server", change it to something else and back to "Main Server" and things will install (including audacity and others).

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1325/screenshotpu.png

P.S. The theme in the screenshot is my YeoWorks Theme (http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29798-yeoworks-os-theme-for-ubuntu/) I'm creating right now that will be released later :)

gotalot2do
November 9th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I have been having the same problem with a lot of installs. I have just removed my aptitude package manager and things seem to install now, not sure if this will be the same for the rest of you but thought I would let you know what works for me.

M.Saber
November 19th, 2010, 02:29 AM
worked for me
ty

nareshpathi
November 20th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Thanks. Those steps worked for me.

JDHS
November 27th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I'm glad to find this fix here. I'm pretty sure that the problem results from using the "Install proprietary drivers" action (e.g. for nvidia cards or whatever) when setting up a new system.

ben2talk
January 12th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Posting to help others:
My steps were:

Sure it works - basically you're just turning off drivers (like nVidia or ATI drivers) as well as Multiverse (mp3, and other important codecs which are not as Free as they should be and cannot therefore be included as standard in a Free desktop).

After doing this, you should update and then return and re-enable them.

For a single package (for me, Shotwell today) it's easier to use terminal. I'm not sure how it's difficult - assuming people make things easy for themselves.

I'm personally very lazy, so I set up Keyboard Shortcuts for myself. Pressing Super + T opens my terminal and I have edited my .bashrc to include a line for installing:

alias install='sudo aptitude install'

I also have 'apt-fast' which can be good on bigger installs, so I have also

alias finstall='sudo apt-fast install'

so my solution is to press Super + T to get a terminal, then type
finstall shotwell

to take a look at your .bashrc, you can simply do ALT +F2 and type '
gedit .bashrc'.

This issue only applies to Update Manager, when you install with Aptitude it warns and prompts you to interact Yes or No to continue... so I would rate this as a bug.

Tirean
January 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Posting to help others:
My steps were:

Yeah, This most definitely solved the issue for me too. Thanks for posting it!

nutsy.ben
February 8th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Posting to help others:
My steps were:

Software sources is now in Ubuntu Software Center or in the settings of the update manager

ae75rhenium
February 13th, 2011, 07:31 PM
This also worked for me. Thanks. Whenever I have a problem I always come here and my problems are no more.

FML
February 21st, 2011, 05:12 AM
It works fine, but why?

rva1945
March 27th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Posting to help others:
My steps were:

I'm having the same problem. I have Maverick and can't find System-Administration-Software Sources.

deathbydoubleG
April 6th, 2011, 07:42 PM
it worked :lolflag:

i think it just had to clear and update the cache. (I THINK)

:guitar::popcorn:

DaLexisX
April 23rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
I'm having the same problem. I have Maverick and can't find System-Administration-Software Sources.

Quoted from PsychoCats.net:

To get to the sources, you'll have to go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and then Settings > Repositories.

HTH

Pilot824
June 9th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I was getting generally the same problem, except it was trying to repair a few things. So far its repairing, thanks John!

Posting to help others:
My steps were:

waynerod
June 30th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Posting to help others:
My steps were:

Sadly, this didn't work for me. :(
P.S. I'm running Ubuntu 11.04. (So maybe there's something changed?)

nm_geo
June 30th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Open terminal

sudo apt-get update

then if you want to get needed upgrades

sudo apt-get upgrades

PouncingAnt
July 8th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Open terminal

sudo apt-get update

then if you want to get needed upgrades

sudo apt-get upgrades

I find this the best answer as it lets me retain my untrusted sources. Good work!

NB: I should point out I had to remove the s at the end of "apt-get upgrades" to get it to work on ubuntu-11.04

lemaza
July 29th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I am using ubuntu 11.04 and I have the same problem using the update manager and ubuntu software center .. i have tried all the solutions but nothing worked , and i don't want to use the terminal as I have no idea in dealing with it .. can anybody help ?

Onruli Jr.
August 8th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Hi, i tried the way johnofwax had suggested but it did not work for me, still it shows
pls help me :confused::(

pakkatechie
August 8th, 2011, 08:20 PM
i had the same issue when i was using update-manger for regular updates. I got the error when i tried update.

When i issued "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade". Everything went fine. :-D

nerderello
October 17th, 2011, 01:42 PM
similar problem getting latest Wine upgrade (after upgrading to 11.10 of Ubuntu). Had to re-add the repository (as per Wine's site).

When I tried to "sudo apt-get update" I received (after a load of other stuff):

W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net oneiric Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 5A9A06AEF9CB8DB0

So I did:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 5A9A06AEF9CB8DB0
(where the hex number is a cut and paste from the error message).

This gave this:

ntu.com --recv-keys 5A9A06AEF9CB8DB0
gpg: requesting key F9CB8DB0 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key F9CB8DB0: public key "Launchpad PPA for Ubuntu Wine Team" imported
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)

And then doing a

sudo apt-get update

And allowed me to do the usual updates.

spamless
October 24th, 2011, 03:02 AM
similar problem getting latest Wine upgrade (after upgrading to 11.10 of Ubuntu). Had to re-add the repository (as per Wine's site).

This was exactly my issue, and with the same binary key as the problem. This one is appreciated.

kyral210
November 7th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I am having this problem now (over a year after the original post, but the solution proposed doesn't work! Is there anything else I can do?

s.m.knipe
December 28th, 2011, 04:47 PM
bump

The Terminal commands are fine, but it would be nice if the GUI package manager could be fixed to respond properly to the keys

negahesard
March 26th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks alot ..
your job helped me very much..