PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HOW TO: /etc/network/interfaces -- switch between eth0 and wlan0

SierraDump
November 16th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I am setting up a media pc - its a tiny little desktop. And will take it many places. Some with Ethernet and other places with NO ethernet but WiFi instead. I only have a minimal install of ubuntu jaunty so no GUI (gnome/kde). I will need to set this all up via command line.

The PC has both a Ethernet AND WiFi card.

A.) How do I setup the wireless card to automatically turn on and join a network? What if i have 2 ssids and I want it to pick between the two? I set it up and seems to be working by adding the WiFi section to my /etc/network/interfaces file but don't know how to have it pick which of 2 ssid is stronger and automatically switch to that one.

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

### I added this section###
# The wireless network interface
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless_mode Managed
wireless_essid wifissid
wireless_key 1234567890 # is this how you add a wep key? its ASCII i think?
wireless_rate 54G
wireless_channel auto

B.)

I am trying to figure out how I can setup the networking so that it uses ethernet(eth0) ONLY if a ethernet cable is plugged in. And if NO ethernet cable is plugged in; then it will use WiFi(wlan0).

IN OTHER WORDS, I WANT ETHERNET TO TAKE PRIORITY... So if WiFi is available, but there is a ethernet cable plugged in - I don't want the WiFi interface to come up. (because obviously if no ethernet cable is plugged in, it won't get an IP)

Do I set this up in /etc/network/interfaces???