PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best way to install software

groman88
November 16th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Which is the best way to install software? Use the the ubuntu software center, synaptic software manager, or just install them manually?

keplerspeed
November 16th, 2009, 03:52 AM
At the moment I recommend using Synaptic. Ubuntu will push USC, especially in the next few releases, to replace synaptic. I use and will continue to use synaptic or aptitude.

groman88
November 16th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Does the synaptic software center offer up-to-date software?

Meskarune
November 16th, 2009, 04:46 AM
As long as you update/refresh the file list it will be up to date. :)

aysiu
November 16th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Which is the best way to install software? Use the the ubuntu software center, synaptic software manager, or just install them manually?
Ubuntu Software Center, Synaptic Package Manager, and apt-get are just different ways of installing using the APT package manager. So whatever you prefer, that's what you should use.

Software in Ubuntu gets newer versions every six months with a new release. In the meantime, all the updates you'll be getting are security updates.

garvinrick4
November 16th, 2009, 12:20 PM
There are many ways of installing upgrades and installs that Ubuntu seems to try to please its users with. It seems to
me you just get a repository that is up to date or real close. Has a decent bandwidth
if you do a lot of dist-upgrades just for speed purposes. Then take the style you install
your software that blows your skirt-up and enjoy Ubuntu. And never do a partial, just say no. Seems like every time you look around and read you learn something new. 1 new thing
a day 365 1/4 things a year. Wish I would have started 10 years ago. I might know something if I did. Long winded tonight.

3rdalbum
November 16th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Does the synaptic software center offer up-to-date software?

Synaptic Package Manager offers up-to-date software if you add PPAs (Personal Package Archives, they're just extra repositories) that contain the software.

Otherwise, it offers software versions that will be stable for the entire life of the distribution (no major unexpected changes, just bug fixes and security fixes).

Paqman
November 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
You can also get more updates by enabling the backports repo.