PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB install on server raid 1 dell poweredge 1900

bertmanphx
November 16th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Hello,
I want to install Ubuntu on a Dell 1900 Poweredge Server with a Perc5 controller, using two SATA drives in a raid 1 configuration.

Will GRUB configure itself on both drives for redundancy? I think the old GRUB version had difficulty with this, but I'm not sure about the new one.

Any help or thoughts is appreciated.

Thanks,

bertmanphx

bertmanphx
November 26th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Hello,
I was hoping somebody would chime in before I have to perform this task..... I'll report back my results. I'm flying blind!

bertmanphx

trundlenut
November 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Assuming that that us a proper hardware raid card then unbuntu won't see individual disks just the raid arrays.

I have a PE2800 with an older perc card in it and before installing ubuntu I set up a single raid 1 array and then installed the OS. The card handles all the array to disk issues and ubuntu/grub is none the wiser.

I think there are potential issues with GRUB when using software raid but not hardware.

bertmanphx
November 27th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Trudlenut,
That is what I am hoping for. I'll find out today :)

Thank you for the reply.

bertmanphx

nknk
February 2nd, 2010, 10:35 AM
hi bertmanphx, do you have any feedback? I'm planning to install Ubuntu Server on the same machine (Poweredge 1900 feat. Raid controller card). did you encounter any problem?

bertmanphx
February 2nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
nknk,
I did not have any trouble at all. Because the Perc5 raid controller is a hardware raid, Grub, and the OS see it as a single entity. Partition as you like. One thing I had not done before, was to re-build the array from within the Perc5 software. It took quite a while to complete. If you are starting with new drives, don't expect it to be an early day.. :)

bertmanphx