PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Downgrade to 9.04 64-bit

Aaris
November 16th, 2009, 02:25 AM
After upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10, I have been dissatisfied with its performance and I would like to go back to 9.04. I have made a Live CD with the ISO on it, but I can't figure out how to do a clean install over the existing Ubuntu. I haven't been able to find any easy instructions for this, as most people switch from Windows to Ubuntu, rather than doing a "downgrade." Could someone help me with this?

Bios Element
November 16th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Do it the same way you would any other install. Assuming you don't have another Operating system installed, just let the installer handle the partitions and tell it to use all available space. It'll automatically create the needed partitions and format the old data.

dalee
November 16th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Hi,

I had to do that myself the first go around with Karmic. But I just simply did a normal install. Jaunty will run on Ext4 just fine.

Aaris
November 16th, 2009, 02:29 AM
So an automatic installer should pop up? Because one isn't, so perhaps something is wrong with the live CD I made.

theozzlives
November 16th, 2009, 02:31 AM
After upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10, I have been dissatisfied with its performance and I would like to go back to 9.04. I have made a Live CD with the ISO on it, but I can't figure out how to do a clean install over the existing Ubuntu. I haven't been able to find any easy instructions for this, as most people switch from Windows to Ubuntu, rather than doing a "downgrade." Could someone help me with this?

If you have a seperate /home partition, you just select manual at the partitioner and format the / partition. If not, you'll need to backup your /home. /home is basically all you need to preserve.

ArinSky
November 16th, 2009, 02:31 AM
If you dual boot windows, you could save all your files on your windows partition, boot from a windows CD, reformat the partitions, reinstall ubuntu and move everything back.

Though I'm guessing you're looking for a way that doesn't involve windows, or repartitioning :p

falconindy
November 16th, 2009, 02:37 AM
If you have a seperate /home partition, you just select manual at the partitioner and format the / partition. If not, you'll need to backup your /home. /home is basically all you need to preserve.
/etc, /var, and /usr can also have very useful things that one might want to save.

Aaris
November 16th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Unfortunately, I am confused. I have everything backed up that I feel that I need to save. I'm also currently running Ubuntu 9.10 only. My laptop doesn't boot to any other OS. The only problem I'm having now is getting the installer to run.

No automatic installer runs when I insert the live CD. If one is supposed to run, then I've done something wrong. Otherwise, I can only guess that I should use Synaptic to install from the CD.

SPazzo
November 16th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Is it just not booting from the CD? When the computer boots try going to the boot menu and booting from the CD drive (with the disc in the drive).

That happened with my computer.

Aaris
November 16th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Is it just not booting from the CD? When the computer boots try going to the boot menu and booting from the CD drive (with the disc in the drive).

Thanks, I will try this.

Aaris
November 16th, 2009, 03:11 AM

Alright, I tried to do this, but no luck. I restarted a couple of times, looking for a way to boot from the CD in the boot menu, but to no avail. I found the System Utilities and the GRUB 2 menu. Is there a way to boot from the CD once Ubuntu has started? The .exe file doesn't work.

Aaris
November 16th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Nevermind, I'm going to try something else.

pablolie
November 16th, 2009, 04:19 AM
You need to tell the BIOS to first start from the CD. Typically you accomplish this by hitting DEL or some F key right after turning on the computer. Be careful when you mess around with BIOS. But in there, the boot device priority can be defined. It sounds like your computer is set up to ignore the CD when booting.

I would be interested - which aspect of 9.10 performance that turned you off.