PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] can't find software I installed

boz86
November 16th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Went here http://prdownload.berlios.de/computertemp/computertemp_0.9.6.1-0ubuntu1_all.deb

to get a computer temp monitor. Downloaded, shows up in Synaptic, shows upgrades, everything looks good, but then I can't find it in any of the menus or by searching.

Gotta be a real noob question, but what am I missing? Tried following the pocket guide and couldn't figure it out.

qamelian
November 16th, 2009, 12:31 AM
You won't find it in a menu because it's a panel applet. Right-click on a panel and click on 'Add to Panel...' in the popup menu that appears. Then scroll through the list of applets that will be displayed until you find the Computer Temp applet that you just installed.

Dvdre
November 16th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Happens to me all the time. Eventually I do locate it.

In 9.04, you can right click on the Applications header and then choose Edit Menus.

From there you can see what is included in the menus and what isn't. If you are lucky you will find it there and then can click to include it in the menu.

qamelian
November 16th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Happens to me all the time. Eventually I do locate it.

In 9.04, you can right click on the Applications header and then choose Edit Menus.

From there you can see what is included in the menus and what isn't. If you are lucky you will find it there and then can click to include it in the menu.

Not for this program, because it isn't run from the menu. It's a panel applet and therefore doesn't get a menu entry.

boz86
November 16th, 2009, 01:55 PM
You won't find it in a menu because it's a panel applet. Right-click on a panel and click on 'Add to Panel...' in the popup menu that appears. Then scroll through the list of applets that will be displayed until you find the Computer Temp applet that you just installed.

OK, I'm more lost now. Right clicked on the desktop, didn't see "Add to Panel" but did get Create Launcher. Saw lots of icons but not the one I needed.

NNow when I click on "Create Launcher" I get a listing of files, not the icons I saw before. How do I get back to the icon listing?

The good news is that I figured out the difference between a desktop and a panel and now have the icon added. Thanks for the help, and I was right, it's a completely noob question.:P

Miljet
November 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Glad you got it figured out. Sometimes it is the simple things that drive us crazy.
Please mark thread as solved.