PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Capturing streaming videos on ubuntu 9.04

darkchest
November 16th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Hi all,

Is there any ubuntu software good for capturing streaming videos?

Djalmahal
November 16th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I don't know about programs, but most videos, like youtube are stored in the temporry folder in your filesystem (/tmp). From there you can drag a file called flash43V5 or something (type flash video) to your desktop or where ever, rename it and watch it offline.

Djalmahal
November 16th, 2009, 12:13 AM
There is actually a program for youtube but the method above works with all kinds of streaming videos (youtube, vimeo, megavideo), but probably not with netflix (I don't have netflix) as they try to protect their content as much as possible. Still copying the flash video file from your tmp directory works fine and quick with all kinds of services.

sandyd
November 16th, 2009, 12:13 AM
use the flashgot firefox extension.

nitstorm
November 16th, 2009, 12:17 AM
thanks djalmahal ;) very neat and useful tip :D

darkchest
November 16th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Thanks a lot guys, very helpful.. What about wmv files or even something like hulu? I am trying the youtube tip from Djalmahal right now. But i was playing a wmv file from a website and i didnt see any tmp file for it, or maybe its hidden somewhere.

It worked, thanks Djalmahal

andrew.46
November 20th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Hi darkchest,

But i was playing a wmv file from a website and i didnt see any tmp file for it, or maybe its hidden somewhere.

Do you have the url of this wmv file? If the address is clear you can simply use wget to retrieve the file...

Andrew