PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome-shell alt tab?

coldReactive
November 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Where's my alt-tab?

According to the following screenshot: http://twitpic.com/l43rh

there should be one, but when I hit alt-tab, nothing comes up!

eagle416
November 15th, 2009, 11:34 PM
In Kubuntu, I can only do tricks like that when I've enabled Desktop Effects. I also have to choose how I switch: with the desktop cube, the slide cards, or present all side by side. Then I can configure the keyboard shortcuts. Try to enable desktop effects and configure the shortcuts for each transition type in GNOME.

uBeer
November 15th, 2009, 11:49 PM
The picture is a preview of an upcoming release of gnome, so it is only available as a test environment.

If you really want to try it out you could install the package gnome-shell (if you run 9.10 it's in the repositories) and then run
gnome-shell --replace to activate but be warned: it is not stable!

uBeer
November 15th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I think I misunderstood and you're actually running gnome-shell. Weird that it doesn't work. I tried it out about a week ago and I saw that the alt-tab thing worked...

Sorry that I can't help you with it!

coldReactive
November 16th, 2009, 12:06 AM
In Kubuntu, I can only do tricks like that when I've enabled Desktop Effects. I also have to choose how I switch: with the desktop cube, the slide cards, or present all side by side. Then I can configure the keyboard shortcuts. Try to enable desktop effects and configure the shortcuts for each transition type in GNOME.

compiz is incompatible with gnome-shell.

vange
November 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I experience the exact same issue: running gnome-shell, but ALT+TAB doesn't work.

Maybe it has something to do with my customization of Visual Effects before starting gnome-shell - I have played around with different task switchers in compiz-config before starting gnome-shell, and were forced to reconfigure my ALT+TAB (as some task switchers used CTRL+ALT+TAB, which I didn't like).

If I create a new user on my laptop this issue doesn't appear, so I think it has something to do with my previous customization.

Do anyone have a clue where you can configure this behavior in gnome-shell? This prevents me from playing around with gnome-shell.

coldReactive
November 16th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I experience the exact same issue: running gnome-shell, but ALT+TAB doesn't work.

Maybe it has something to do with my customization of Visual Effects before starting gnome-shell - I have played around with different task switchers in compiz-config before starting gnome-shell, and were forced to reconfigure my ALT+TAB (as some task switchers used CTRL+ALT+TAB, which I didn't like).

If I create a new user on my laptop this issue doesn't appear, so I think it has something to do with my previous customization.

Do anyone have a clue where you can configure this behavior in gnome-shell? This prevents me from playing around with gnome-shell.

I've purged compiz (meaning, removing its config), so I don't think it's that.

Locke_99GS
November 16th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I'm running gnome-shell right now as well, also with no Alt+Tab functionality.

vange
November 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I got it working! Use gconf-editor and check your settings for the key apps->metacity->global_keybindings->switch_windows. For details, see this link: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=591671

Locke_99GS
November 19th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Yay vange! :) Works for me now.
edit: Ohh yes, BTW, I like it. Very clean, nice.

eagle416
November 20th, 2009, 05:54 PM
compiz is incompatible with gnome-shell.

KDE has its own effects. I don't have Compiz or Beryl installed at all.

mastmaulaa
October 16th, 2011, 02:02 AM
thanks vange..
now i think i can give a shot to GS after this fix!

Balthazar_Droid
October 20th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I am having a similar issue, except Alt-Shift-Tab works, but Alt-Shift doesn't. I have it set in gconf editor, and under system>keyboard settings>navigation. I can't get it to work at all. Has anyone ran into this?

vange
October 22nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
Hi Balthazar_Droid - I am currently not using Gnome Shell, so unfortunately I cannot help you. I recently did a clean install of Ubuntu Oneiric 11.10, and I haven't grown tired of Unity yet - but if I do, I will try Gnome Shell again.

Silent Warrior
October 22nd, 2011, 08:35 PM
I'm using Mint 11, so I only have Gnome Shell from PPA, but see if installing the Shell extension Window Navigator helps. You'll have to use gnome-tweak-tool to enable it, then restart the shell.

wate
October 23rd, 2011, 09:12 PM
reset the unity profile* with CCSM or via terminal:
unity --reset

and reset gnome-shell.

*Save your current unity profile before reset, if you want to save your changes.

Doesn't have much sense, but it solved my problem.
Hope it solves yours too.

topdownjimmy
November 6th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I just came here from a Google search and thought I'd help out anyone else who did the same.

This has to be set in System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Navigation > Switch applications

Ubuntu disables this by default so that it doesn't conflict with Unity window switching, I assume.