PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't mount Samba share

mwolfgang
November 15th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I added the following line to my /etc/fstab, but the share fails to mount automatically:

//ubuntudesktop/media /media/media smbfs username=matt,password=password 0 0In addition, when I attempt to mount the share manually from the command line, using the following command, it asks for my password, then just hangs and never mounts the share:

sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=matt //ubuntudesktop/media/ /media/media/Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

Fir3chi3f
November 15th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Does the drive normally mount ok? without the fstab modified and just by clicking the drive in the Places menu?

mwolfgang
November 15th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Does the drive normally mount ok? without the fstab modified and just by clicking the drive in the Places menu?

Yes, I can access it that way, but it doesn't mount as part of the file system, so it's basically inaccessible in a lot of applications. i.e. it doesn't appear as a sub-direcctory in /media or /mnt.

michaelgilch
January 20th, 2010, 11:09 PM
any luck on this? I am having the same issue. Thanks

mwolfgang
January 21st, 2010, 05:28 AM
I was able to mount by using the IP address instead of the computer name. I eventually added entries for the other machines in my house to my /etc/hosts file and that completely resolved the problem.

Matt