PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] External hard drive solution

japhyr
November 15th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Hello everyone,

I run ubuntu 9.04, and my wife has a Macbook pro that she got sometime in the last year. I want to set up an external hard drive (or two) that will allow each of us to back up our systems on our home network.

Would it be better to get one large hd and back up both of our systems to that same hd, or two smaller hd's that are each dedicated to one machine?

Schendje
November 15th, 2009, 09:55 PM
If you've got the money, you could setup a RAID configuration and mirror two HD's to each other. It's kind of over the top though. :P

Will you be adding these two HD's to the network, standalone?

23dornot23d
November 15th, 2009, 10:01 PM
The USB hard drives ..... are the cheapest ..... storage medium per Meg of Data

I have 2 ...... one for each computer ......

You can boot of them this way too .....

But if you just need one for backups ..... just have one with two partitions
one for the Mac and one for the other ........
( pocket USB HDs are available 300 Gig )

Photos and Documents are often stored on Computers .... most people
only look back after a disaster and wish they had a quick way to backup.

I have one an Iomega Terra drive and the other unbranded 320Gig ...... USB HDs
My main use Photography and Design ......
I would hate to lose any of the work I do ......
My USB drives as backup drives are quick easy to use and do the job.

Cost is relative ..... by Meg per Dollar Pound Euro .......... whatever

10 to 20 for a USB Flash ...... 4 to 8 Gig

70 to 80 for a USB Hard Drive ..... capacity 200 to 300 Gig

100 to 140 for a USB Hard Drive ...... 1000 GIG ......

bluelamp999
November 15th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I'd go for a NAS with RAID capability, something like this - http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=113

You get a lot of extra functionality and it's a RAID device so you get a safe(r) backup solution.

Again, it all depends on the dollars...

japhyr
November 15th, 2009, 10:20 PM
The QNAP TS-219 looks like a nice solution, but it's more than we need and want to spend right now. I will keep that in mind though, and go there someday. (Am I correct in thinking it's a ~$600 investment? $400 on newegg for the 219, plus a couple hard drives to put into it?)

I would like the drive/s to be connected to our router, not directly to either computer. I would like to connect them directly to each computer for the initial backup, and then do incremental backups over the network. I could just do USB backups, but I know if we can do backups over the network we will do them more consistently. USB-only devices run a serious risk of sitting in a closet after the initial backup, then being thought of only after a system crash. :)

bluelamp999
November 16th, 2009, 12:37 AM
You're dead right it IS expensive!

Having been out of work since July myself I couldn't countenance the expense but, in the fullness of time, I hope to go down that road...

I'm a user of external USB drives myself, I back up my music, VMs and other important stuff to 2 separate drives on a weekly (well usually) basis. I should really move one off-site but I don't!

Good luck with whatever solution you adopt...

chriscross93
November 16th, 2009, 01:37 AM
There are MUCH cheaper NAS Setups that will still get the job done. Poke around on Newegg a little...

EDIT: Not to say that the QNAPP one isn't nice, its just expensive.

bluelamp999
November 16th, 2009, 05:17 AM
When the elephants fight, it is the grass that gets trampled.

-Swahili Proverb

Kudos for your sig, I love it!

japhyr
November 16th, 2009, 05:49 AM
For the record, I'm going to try one or two USB-only portable hard drives for now. Thanks everyone.