PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with a webhosting server

ZJ88
November 15th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I am a real newbie when it comes to servers. My teacher is letting me borrow her ubuntu server to put up a website for the rest of the year. The problem is I have no idea what I am doing! She has created a user account for me and in my home files there is public_html. SO I figured I should put my index and everything else in there right? but now how do I broadcast that on the web? I am also trying to buy a domain name for it but I have no idea on how to link my server with the domain name or how to do anything. All I can find on the web is a lot of technical jargon on editing the actual server code and installing apache2. All of that should be in place already. Can somebody please help me?

Sorry if this is a double post, I didn't see this forum until after I posted the first one :/

mrgs
November 15th, 2009, 09:23 PM
If you upload a test file called index.html in the directory public_html, you should be able to see it by typing http://path_your_teacher_provided/~your_username/ in the browser. 'Public_html' should not be typed.

You can not take for granted that an HTML page can be seen on the internet. I guess that you are at school, and then most likely the page is only visible on the intranet.

If you buy a domain, the hosting company will provide their own folder called public_html for you. Use this for everything you want to make visible on the internet. I recommend picking a web host that uses Apache.