PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Set up Ubuntu as networked drive?

vinay427
November 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Hey,

I have been searching all over for the past week for a solution but haven't found anything. I have a PS3, Mac, XP, and two 9.10 computers all connected to a network. I wanted to use one of the Ubuntu computers as a networked media server sort of thing. I can set up Mediatomb with my PS3 flawlessly, but is there a way to make the hard drive show up on every computer as if it's a network attached hard drive like the Iomega Home Media Network Drive (http://go.iomega.com/section?secid=40639)? That is a bit too expensive for me as of now so I would like to find a cheaper (free) option. What do you think is the best way I can emulate many of the features on that?

Thanks,
vinay427

vinay427
November 18th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Bump. Sorry...

movieman
November 18th, 2009, 12:44 AM
You can set up Samba or NFS, no idea whether all your computers can access those.

vinay427
November 18th, 2009, 02:08 AM
You can set up Samba or NFS, no idea whether all your computers can access those.

But do either of those actually appear as a hard drive on a network or as a computer? From what I've seen I think computer. Is there anything that can make the computer appear as a hard drive?

movieman
November 18th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Well, if you create a Samba share for the disk you want other PCs to access then both Windows and Linux should be able to see it on the network.

vinay427
November 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Well, if you create a Samba share for the disk you want other PCs to access then both Windows and Linux should be able to see it on the network.

Ok, thanks a lot! I'll have to try that soon.