PDA

View Full Version : Update 9.04->9.10 mythwelcome/mythfrontend issues preventing idle shutdown

Morgennebel
November 15th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Hi there,

I recently updated my combined Backend/Frontend Mythbuntu 9.04 installation to 9.10. Running at 9.04 everything worked like a charm (ACPI wakeup, mythwelcome loading mythfrontend via remote control or idle shutdown after recording).

Since I upgraded I experience issues with mythwelcome which prevents the system to shutdown after a successfull finished recording (and yes, in mythtv-setup I disabled "Wait for client frontend" :-)).

I am using auto-login to user "os". In ~os/.config/autostart/MythTV.desktop the systems loads "Exec=/usr/bin/mythwelcome" - as my old configuration "Exec=/usr/bin/mythfrontend --service" does not work anylonger, it will jump to mythfrontend instead of mythwelcome.

When the system starts I do see the mythfrontend screen which is then overwritten by mythwelcome. After a recording the running mythfrontend reports to the backend to be running and the instance prevents an idle shutdown - mythwelcome just reports "mythtv is idle".

Also I do see multiple (up to 14) mythfrontend zombie (<defunct>) processes.

I have tested to delete the ~/.config/autostart/MythTV.desktop file. Still mythfrontend will be loaded - no clue where, how and why :-)

I found in pstree a /usr/share/mythtv/session.sh session which has been initiated from dbus.

I would like to get back to my mythwelcome screen which is able to shutdown the system after a recording.

Any hints are welcome,

Thanks, -MN

leafpaul
November 16th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I am getting the same behaviour although in my case "exec: mythfrontend --service" still works ie still opens mythwelcome.

On startup I get mythfrontend, a terminal window and mythwelcome all opening. With mythfrontend and the terminal window opening before the xfce autostart process kicks in (which loads mythwelcome).

Something is starting mythfrontend itself directly (ie not via mythwelcome) before the ~/.config/autostart/mythtv-desktop script runs.

jerryscuba
November 16th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Have you checked if the frontend is selected in Application Autostart?
If in Session Startup - General - Logout Settings the Option Automatically save session on logout is selected, the frontend would start if it was running at shutdown.
In addition I would check that Grub is starting the newest Kernel. I had this and many other issues because I was still running an older Kernel after the 9.10 upgrade.

Good luck

leafpaul
November 16th, 2009, 04:23 PM
No running 2.6.31-15-generic and only mythwelcome is running at shutdown.

leafpaul
November 17th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I deleted the contents of ~/.cache/sessions/ which cleared the problem.

screwbunt2
November 29th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Thanks, clearing the cache folder helped fix my problem also.

I did the same update 9.04 to 9.10, and the problem I was having was after mythwelcome started. I was also getting mythbuntu-control-centre starting up on top of mythwelcome everytime I booted. I don't know how I ended up here, but it worked!

movieman
November 29th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I have a bunch of defunct mythfrontends too, and clearing the cache directory made no difference. There's no log message explaining why, and it appears that the defunct processes started after the process that's actually running.

This is definitely new with 9.10, it didn't happen with 9.04. It could be due to the changes that broke the automatic login?

movieman
November 29th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Looks like this may be the cause of the defunct processes:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6137

I created /sbin/udevinfo containing:

#!/bin/bash
/sbin/udevadm info $1

And after rebooting I don't have any defunct processes anymore.