PDA

View Full Version : How come usplash logo has a nice throbber effect only on livecd

philinux
November 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Once installed just looking at white ubuntu logo is boring.

For newbies it looks like nothing is happening.

VMC
November 15th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Aren't you getting the text messages below the "white ubuntu logo"? That should tell someone that it's alive.

Are you wanting the "white ubuntu logo" to pulsate or something?

Vanishing
November 15th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Aren't you getting the text messages below the "white ubuntu logo"? That should tell someone that it's alive.

that is if you turned off the "quiet"..
some animation will be nice tbh...

erkiha
November 15th, 2009, 04:59 PM
strange thing is that it does pulsate when running live cd, but not when installed.

fluteflute
November 15th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I wondered this too actually. I think the glow/throb would be nice on every startup.

philinux
November 15th, 2009, 06:54 PM

No text, and yes pulsate as on livecd would be nice. Agree with other posters it just looks dead.

Squonk07
November 16th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I noticed this, too. I imagine it was made to throb for the LiveCD version because the usplash remains on the screen for longer than it does on a full install; I suppose this is to reassure new users that their computer hasn't locked up.

phrizek
November 16th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I noticed this, too. I imagine it was made to throb for the LiveCD version because the usplash remains on the screen for longer than it does on a full install; I suppose this is to reassure new users that their computer hasn't locked up.

That makes a ton of sense.

Anyhoo, aren't we ditching the usplash with lucid entirely?

autocrosser
November 16th, 2009, 01:18 AM
No text, and yes pulsate as on livecd would be nice. Agree with other posters it just looks dead.

Have you tried to pull the usplash off of the LiveCD?

Starks
November 16th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Keybuk said a few weeks ago that the lack of pulsation for an install is quite intentional and in line with plans to completely do away with the need for usplash.

celticbhoy
November 16th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Keybuk said a few weeks ago that the lack of pulsation for an install is quite intentional and in line with plans to completely do away with the need for usplash.

That may be so, but when will we lose usplash?

I am with phil on this, on slower hardware usplash can sit for a while, it would be nice if it animated even slightly.

inportb
November 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
We will not lose usplash, as it's still needed in certain situations.

wilee-nilee
November 16th, 2009, 10:27 AM
The pulse is to distract you because live boots are slow. you getting sleepy sleepy sleepy. ;)

Starks
November 16th, 2009, 04:25 PM
We will not lose usplash, as it's still needed in certain situations.

I understand that. What irks me though is that Keybuk didn't believe that there was a single Ubuntu user, who in either Karmic or Lucid, that was staring at the logo for more than 5 seconds during boot. When I told him that I was at Usplash for 10 seconds, he didn't believe me and said that even if that was true, it wasn't worth adding the pulse for installed machines even if it would help reassure Linux newbies that their machine hasn't crashed.

philinux
November 16th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I understand that. What irks me though is that Keybuk didn't believe that there was a single Ubuntu user, who in either Karmic or Lucid, that was staring at the logo for more than 5 seconds during boot. When I told him that I was at Usplash for 10 seconds, he didn't believe me and said that even if that was true, it wasn't worth adding the pulse for installed machines even if it would help reassure Linux newbies that their machine hasn't crashed.

12.5 seconds here. Seems like an eternity. Some people get longer too.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/453337

philinux
November 16th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Have you tried to pull the usplash off of the LiveCD?

Unsquashed and install the usplash /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-ubuntu-livecd.so

Done the up[date alternatives and sudo update-initramfs -u.

Still no throb. lol

Locke_99GS
November 16th, 2009, 11:09 PM
No throb on Karmic either. Disappointing after seeing it throb on the LiveCD.

Starks
November 17th, 2009, 12:19 AM
From the UDS boot experience panel:

<LLStarks> so, in laymans terms. what's happening with xsplash, usplash, and plymouth specifically?
<robbiew> usplash is going away
<robbiew> xsplash may remain

Furthermore, Plymouth is definitively replacing usplash.

inportb
November 17th, 2009, 03:23 AM
That is quite interesting. At any rate, Kubuntu users still aren't seeing any xsplash action and usplash throbs just fine.