PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't connect my ASUS EEEPC Netbook to network

ShadowGazer
November 15th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hello,

I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala on my netbook. I'm able to connect to the network, with NO security running, but whenever I put any type of security on (yes I click OK and everything when I change settings), it fails to connect. I'm typing the key correctly, my Capslock button is NOT on, and even when it is, I can't get it to connect with any security options. Right now it's running with no security, but obviously that isn't safe, as anyone can break into my connection and take my bandwidth away, or worse. Can someone please explain step by step, what I need to do in order to get my netbook connected? By the way, it did connect with the very same key, on my windows XP Distribution I have. Also, previous versions of Ubuntu worked on the same key, this one just does not want to work, with any key I put into it! HELP!

pdc
November 16th, 2009, 03:30 AM
what about installing an earlier version of Ubuntu (that you know works) ?

ShadowGazer
November 16th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Yeah, installing an earlier version works just fine, I was just hoping to use the newest version thats all. Guess I'll go back to 9.04

pdc
November 16th, 2009, 08:09 AM
well as 9.04 works so well, call it "going forward" to 9.04

and you will be going forward by connecting to the net !

doccali
November 16th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I can't say I've had any troubles with karmic and my eeepc, I am using WICD instead of the default network manager, and I like it quite a bit more. If you haven't already gone back to 9.04, you might give it a quick shot. It, of course, requires your eeepc be able to connect to the internet to install.

ShadowGazer
November 16th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I already switched to 9.04. Hopefully in the future I can go to 9.10, because I'm panning on getting a new laptop. Tired of 2 finger typing, the keyboard is too small