PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Just wondering where things go

Chris Edgell
November 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I was looking for the praying without ceasing that J. D. Salinger's Franny was doing in Franny and Zooey-- an idea based on some old Russian teacher. I went to Wikipedia and soon hooked up with the word Thilokalia. Let me get to the more technical question.

At first I found a PDF and even though IT seemed to be one blank page somehow, someway I was offered "html" and I read what seemed to be the whole book. Now it seems I cannot get back to it. It no longer even says PDF on the place I'd originally clicked. But I click there and it downloads but all I ever get is that blank page--no offer of html. [It was like the 7th offer down]

Then somehow I got to another book, maybe it is the same book gotten to by a different route. I read many pages there but can't seem to get THERE again either. [It was the 2nd option (reference) offered on that page]

Has something like this happened to anyone...what could cause it not to be able to be found again? Do they ever let you read a book once3, but do not offer to let you read it again?

Hoping this question doesn't seem absolutely absurd...or that it's absolutely wrong of me to ask. (If not here, then where?)

nathan726
November 15th, 2009, 08:50 AM
If I understand you correctly, you basically want to know where the temp folder is?
It's located at /tmp (file:///tmp)

Chris Edgell
November 15th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Darn (wish I knew more)... Where DOES one go to use "/tmp" and is it underlined, or was that just for emphasis?

camaron1
November 15th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Darn (wish I knew more)... Where DOES one go to use "/tmp" and is it underlined, or was that just for emphasis?

Just for emphasis I think. Go to File System>tmp (different apps. have diferent folders within tmp

Chris Edgell
November 15th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Thank you for responding, I hate to ask you, but can you be more explicit...when you say, "Go to File System>tmp".

camaron1
November 15th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Thank you for responding, I hate to ask you, but can you be more explicit...when you say, "Go to File System>tmp".

Open any folder anywhere. In the left pane you'll see File System. Click here. Scroll down to the tmp folder.

Hope it helps

nathan726
November 15th, 2009, 09:47 AM
There should be some menus somewhere near the edge of you screen: Applications, Places and System. Click "Places" > "Computer", then go to "filesystem", and then "tmp".

Oops, I don't think Xubuntu has Applications, Places and System?!
From what google tells me, I think you need to click the little folder icon at the bottom of your screen
And then you can press <Ctrl>+<up arrow> to navigate to the highest directory "/"
Then you should see the "tmp" folder

Chris Edgell
November 15th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Well! I have found the File System and the tmp file. Within there are three files. One something like Keyring, one Orbit and one Some letters and numberw. I am given a box wherein I choose open with some application. When I open with abiword, I get a blank, untitled document. One thing I see is they are all "Sockets", something I have never heard of. Although in the tool world, I know what a socket is.

camaron1
November 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Well! I have found the File System and the tmp file. Within there are three files. One something like Keyring, one Orbit and one Some letters and numberw. I am given a box wherein I choose open with some application. When I open with abiword, I get a blank, untitled document. One thing I see is they are all "Sockets", something I have never heard of. Although in the tool world, I know what a socket is.

Maybe we should go back to your original post. I did not understand exactly what the problem was. Did you downloaded that staff or you read on your browser? What program you used to read it. Could you redirect me to your Wikipedia article so I can have a look?

mikewhatever
November 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
It's real easy to navigate within the file system if you know the path. Sometimes, the path is rather long and complicated, but in the case of tmp it is just /tmp. Simply open you home folder, hit ctrl+l, type /tmp into the location bar and hit enter. And voila, you are in /tmp.
Generally speaking, any file you view online, be it pdf, flash etc (but not html), is cached locally into /tmp.

nathan726
November 15th, 2009, 10:48 AM

Chris Edgell
November 15th, 2009, 11:00 AM
So Mike, that's interesting to me. I'm thinking they must not be saved, though. And it is odd to have about 12 "sockets' and they all are empty.

This tmp thing has now almost become another topic that I may be looking to understand sometime, although, since they ARE empty....I'm tending to go back to the original, as Camaron has said let's do.

I'm trying to think how I CAN I be more explicit. Well, since you express an interest in my problem, let me put it this way: If you Google Thilokalia you will get 2 referrals under "Did you mean Philokalia", then you'll see Thilokalia and all of them seem to be related to the Franny and Zooey by Salinger. As I said, the 5th one down began by saying PDF but after I had been through it, when I went back to see it again, it no longer said PDF. [I think sometimes these articles they offer you when you google something, CAN change for some reason.] It is the one that begins by saying "I'm not afraid to compete..." Does your 5th one under Thilokalia... say PDF "I'm not afraid to compete..." {If not, we've been given different choices anyway for some reason...

But this time as I went and clicked around, I found the book under the 4th offering, this copy of the book must have been there all along, but I didn't know it was the same book as the one I had been looking at, if it was...

Maybe I should have clicked around more before asking....but stillI thought there might me a simple answer as to how it happened that after I had downloaded the PDF that somehow I was offered the option of html for reading it when the actual PDF download was a one page blank and the other was a book.

But now I'm quite happy because I have clicked onto the book.

I plan to try to attach a screen shot showing you that I had marked that place, that PDF, as a favorite, so I could get back to it, but when I tried the screen shot is what I got. Oops, can't find way to post screenshot. Oh well, it just said, nothing there, I must have used wrong words etc.

Thank you for investing any time in my quest.

camaron1
November 15th, 2009, 11:12 AM
So Mike, that's interesting to me. I'm thinking they must not be saved, though. And it is odd to have about 12 "sockets' and they all are empty.

This tmp thing has now almost become another topic that I may be looking to understand sometime, although, since they ARE empty....I'm tending to go back to the original, as Camaron has said let's do.

I'm trying to think how I CAN I be more explicit. Well, since you express an interest in my problem, let me put it this way: If you Google Thilokalia you will get 2 referrals under "Did you mean Philokalia", then you'll see Thilokalia and all of them seem to be related to the Franny and Zooey by Salinger. As I said, the 5th one down began by saying PDF but after I had been through it, when I went back to see it again, it no longer said PDF. [I think sometimes these articles they offer you when you google something, CAN change for some reason.] It is the one that begins by saying "I'm not afraid to compete..." Does your 5th one under Thilokalia... say PDF "I'm not afraid to compete..." {If not, we've been given different choices anyway for some reason...

But this time as I went and clicked around, I found the book under the 4th offering, when I clicked "Cached"

Maybe I should have clicked around more before asking....but stillI thought there might me a simple answer as to how it happened that after I had downloaded the PDF that somehow I was offered the option of html for reading it when the actual PDF download was a one page blank and the other was a book.

But now I'm quite happy because I have clicked onto the book. I guess that is what the cache designation is for, that that's where it's stored.

Thank you for investing any time in my quest.

I'm glad you got it.
I've been checking the site and don't seem to get anything, just a full page of unreadable characters, although it has, a couple of times, tried to show a blank pdf as you said.

Chris Edgell
November 15th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Oh yes, I too can get all that unreadable.

Oh, I got the screenshot of what I got when I had marked it as favorite... if it has significance to any of you.

It's 4:15 in the morning here and I have got to get to bed soon. But thanks again!

mikewhatever
November 15th, 2009, 12:11 PM
There is a link to pdf indeed, the seventh, if it matters.

http://nedatech.ir/index.php?view=article&catid=75%3A1388-05-11-10-08-09&id=445%3A4franny&format=pdf&option=com_content&Itemid=64

camaron1
November 15th, 2009, 12:22 PM
format=pd[/B]f&option=com_content&Itemid=64
]

That only gives me unreadable characters again and no pdf

Oh yes, I too can get all that unreadable.

Oh, I got the screenshot of what I got when I had marked it as favorite... if it has significance to any of you.

It's 4:15 in the morning here and I have got to get to bed soon. But thanks again! I think it is just the encoding, if you follow the main body of the address it is in Arabic (which displays well...), so that is my bet, somthing to do with not using the right encoding.

Never mind, sleep well where ever you are

Chris Edgell
November 15th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Do know of anyway I can get this in English? It is the book I was reading in English after someway, somehow I was offered the option to open in html.

I have found the other book but don't think it was the same one, at least it was a very different format.

[I'm going out now but will check back later to see if there is a way...even though I know that usually there is no way to get a book PDF into html.]

Chris Edgell
November 17th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I just wanted to say that I finally see how FLUX-able Google reference points really are and what they're made up of. NOW when I google the word "Thilokalia" I am first in line of the places where the word is mentioned. It is called just what this thread is called..."Just wondering where things go"

I feel like this is my moment of fame....lol and to think if no one uses that word even hardly at all, I will be googled again and again...lol

Now I understand what my little sis does for a living, writing ads that get mentioned. Talk about learning from the inside out...(of a wet paper bag, I'm afraid).