PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't connect to wireless network anymore?

sylvainrb
November 15th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I am running Ubuntu 9.10 on a laptop and I'm having trouble connecting to a wireless network. My wireless on the laptop works (I tested it at another place) and the wireless network is fine (other people are using it), but for some reason my computer won't connect to this network.

It succeeded once or twice but it was really slow (unusable).

I know the only difference with the other networks that I've used before, this one uses a WPA+WPA2-Personal (PSK) key and TKIP+AES for data encryption. I'm not sure what is the difference with WEP 128 bit but my guess is that could be the problem since that is the only difference between the networks.

So hopefully has run into this and could help me. Thanks!

Paqman
November 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM
my guess is that could be the problem since that is the only difference between the networks.

The best way to confirm that would be to disable the encryption on the router and see if your connection improves.

sylvainrb
November 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM
The best way to confirm that would be to disable the encryption on the router and see if your connection improves.

Tried it already and I could connect to the router, but no internet.

Paqman
November 16th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Sounds like the problem is on the router side then.

sylvainrb
November 16th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Sounds like the problem is on the router side then.

Well it would seem like it but two people (using Windows Vista) can connect and use the internet with no problems whatsoever.