PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] need help setting up hotmail on thunderbird on ubuntu

zacker02
November 15th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Whew...... so i installed Ubuntu and its pretty good so far..
first question: does windows live mail work on this? if so, how do i install it?

Second: if the above isnt possible, i have thunderbird all set to go, but i cant seem to set up my hotmail on it.. even following the directions and tutes on the mozilla forums.

third: I really wanna DL and install and use "Live Mesh" on this laptop.. can it be used with this OS?

fourth: the desktop.. when i save something like a photo off the net, why doesnt it show on my desktop, same with programs, if I click to send to desktop.. it says its there but i dont see it.

can anyone help me?
thanks!

nitstorm
November 15th, 2009, 04:54 AM
i dunno about the other questions, but the windows live mail.. u mean the messenger? pidgin works well, but aMSN gels well with those who have windows live messenger...

hope i wasn't completely useless, cheers :)

zacker02
November 15th, 2009, 05:06 AM
thanks nitstorm.. Windows Live Mail is actually the new Hotmail.. but now its a downloadable program.. its kinda like Outlook Express.. or thunderbird.. I used it to read email on my windowz machines and it works great. I have three different gmail accts, two different accounts through my provider and my hotmail addy.. and I had all of them running through Live Mail and it was great. If i can get them all to work in thunderbird, fine but id much rather have my livemail.

nitstorm
November 15th, 2009, 05:17 AM
i think evolution mail should work,people say its good, but i have never used it... obviously i dont lots of mail :P

chriscross93
November 15th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I do not believe that POP3, IMAP, or SMTP access was allowed by hotmail. Your best bet may be to make another Gmail account and have all your live/hotmail forward to it. You can then configure an email client (ex. thunderbird (+1, love it)) to revieve/send mail using the Gmail account. Heres a guide to configure thunderbird with gmail. http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=38343

steve161
November 15th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Have you tried using the webmail extensions. My apologies if this is too obvious.

http://webmail.mozdev.org/

zacker02
November 15th, 2009, 05:30 PM
thanks guys... according to all the tutes i have seen for getting thunderbird to mesh with hotmail say hotmail (now called windows live mail) is pop3 .. and that it works well w/ thunderbird.. but not for me..lol im wondering, is it hotmail, thunderbird or, Ubuntu thats making it not work?

i will check out the links you provided and see what they are.. thanks.

zacker02
November 15th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Have you tried using the webmail extensions. My apologies if this is too obvious.

http://webmail.mozdev.org/

none of these extensions are installing because it says they arent compatible.. here i go again...lol

RJ12
November 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM
thanks guys... according to all the tutes i have seen for getting thunderbird to mesh with hotmail say hotmail (now called windows live mail) is pop3 .. and that it works well w/ thunderbird.. but not for me..lol im wondering, is it hotmail, thunderbird or, Ubuntu thats making it not work?

i will check out the links you provided and see what they are.. thanks.

The answer is Hotmail. A while back ago M$ stopped delivering pop3 and SMTP access (it was reserved for paying customers). Then with the switch to Windows Live Mail (And the whole Live suite) they got something called DeltaSync which only right now the webmail hotmail and Windows Live Mail is compatible with. Im sure theres a way but I just cant figure it out.

Anyway I hope that clears some of it up!:D

ktmom
November 15th, 2009, 06:07 PM
It works on my Jaunty install, using Thunderbird 2.0.0.23

Use these instructions (http://email.about.com/od/mozillathunderbirdtips/qt/et_free_hotmail.htm) adjusting for the Linux version of T-bird (e.g. instead of Tools | Account Settings use Edit | Account Settings). Make sure you use the full username@hotmail.com or username@live.com for the username entries and make sure the POP security is set to SSL (port 995) and the outgoing security is set to TLS.

ktmom
November 15th, 2009, 06:52 PM
first question: does windows live mail work on this? if so, how do i install it?

Windows Live Mail is for Windows operating systems

third: I really wanna DL and install and use "Live Mesh" on this laptop.. can it be used with this OS?

Live Mesh is for Windows and Mac based OS. I don't think there is anything for linux (yet).

fourth: the desktop.. when i save something like a photo off the net, why doesnt it show on my desktop, same with programs, if I click to send to desktop.. it says its there but i dont see it.

Help me understand better here, what browser and what steps are you taking to save to the desktop?

qwerty2009
November 15th, 2009, 07:42 PM
HI :)

im nt sure but i think this should work with thunderbird (i use evolution )

hotmail setup-

receiving mail -

select pop from the drop down box
server is pop3.live.com
username is blank@hotmail.com (or whatever u use)
security is ssl

sending mail

sever is smtp.live.com
encryption is ssl
username is blank@hotmail.com (or whatever u use)

go here to set up ur gmail - http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/setting-up-evolution-mail-gmail-and-hotmail/

if u just use livemesh to download music try using frostwire instead :P

im not sure bout ur desktop im sure u will find out why :P have u tried looking at ur desktop by clicking on ur desktop in ur home folder

steve161
November 15th, 2009, 07:45 PM
none of these extensions are installing because it says they arent compatible.. here i go again...lol

I'm able to check my hotmail account with Thunderbird in Karmic. You need to right click and save as for the webmail and hotmail extensionns. Then go to tools-addons-extensions and install webmail. Restart TB, check to see, under preferences, if the webmail addon is running (you may have to use a port above 1024). Then install the hotmail addon the same way.