PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] General Question

Archie69
November 15th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Hey all,

I was thinking of downloading 9.10 instead of waiting for the Lucid Lynx (LTS). Currently I'm running 8.04 and don't really have any issues. I Was curious what added benefits 9.10 would have. I was also hoping if anyone knew if "BARRY" is available on 9.10 or will it be available on 10.04? That would be awesome if it did.

Also does anyone know if 9.10 recognizes NVIDIA video cards, as there was some difficulty when I initially installed 8.04 and finding compatible drivers. I have an ACER ASPIRE 5920 and it has a Nvidia 8600GT-M w/ 512MB VRAM graphics card.

I've also been having some issues with my web cam working and I'm hoping a clean install of the OS would help that issue as well. If anyone has any ideas, info, or advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paqman
November 15th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I Was curious what added benefits 9.10 would have.

In short:

Faster bootup, with new splash screens
The ext4 file system, which is also faster
A new version of Grub
Empathy has replaced Pidgin
UbuntuOne is installed by default
New disk monitoring utility
Ubuntu Software Centre has replaced Add/Remove

I was also hoping if anyone knew if "BARRY" is available on 9.10 or will it be available on 10.04? That would be awesome if it did.

Looks like it is (http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/barrybackup-gui).

Also does anyone know if 9.10 recognizes NVIDIA video cards, as there was some difficulty when I initially installed 8.04 and finding compatible drivers. I have an ACER ASPIRE 5920 and it has a Nvidia 8600GT-M w/ 512MB VRAM graphics card.

The default drivers available through Hardware Drivers should run this card just fine. But then they should have done so in Hardy, too.

I've also been having some issues with my web cam working and I'm hoping a clean install of the OS would help that issue as well.

It's possible, but you might want to search the forums for the exact model of webcam and see if other people have reported good things.

cespinal
November 15th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Faster..better hardware support overall...

I personally used to be a hard fan of the LTS, but seeing the improvements, specially for the last two releases, made me make the switch...

Maybe I'll stick to the next LTS...but karmic has impressed me enough to keep myself updating at every release.

Lateralis
November 15th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Karmic has been quite a nice upgrade for me too, but if I were in your shoes I'd wait until 10.04 came out and upgrade your LTS. April will come around pretty quickly and 10.04 will be even better than 9.10.

halitech
November 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM
One word of caution, if you upgrade instead of doing a clean install, you will need to go 8.04 - 8.10 - 9.04 - 9.10 so might be easier to back up and just do a fresh install.

Lateralis
November 15th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I thought you could upgrade from one LTS to the next, without going through the versions in between? Another reason why I am suggesting waiting until 10.04.

yanceypd
November 15th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I agree with halitech that a clean install would be preferable to updates. There is a lot of posts about update issues with 9.10. Take your time backup data and decide which version you want to install. I really like new features in 9.10 but I store very little data on this pc as have one at work. A large investment in music, photos take more precautions before upgrading. Good luck in whatever you choose.

philinux
November 15th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I thought you could upgrade from one LTS to the next, without going through the versions in between? Another reason why I am suggesting waiting until 10.04.

Correct.

Linux&Gsus
November 15th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Currently I'm running 8.04 and don't really have any issues. I Was curious what added benefits 9.10 would have.

If you don't really have any issues and/or you can live with those (few?) you have you might be better off staying with what you have.
Specially if you don't rely any of the improvements made since 8.04, e.g. speed. And also you don't need new versions of software (OOo, Firefox, etc).

I personally would say, if you have no trouble so far and don't terribly miss something you could as well wait another 6 months for the next LTS.

Cheers,
L&G

halitech
November 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM

You can upgrade from LTS to LTS but the OP was talking about going to 9.10 which is not an LTS so they would have to go through all the other versions to get to 9.10. If they hold off until 10.04 comes out, then they can do a direct upgrade (and probably be lost with all the changes in between)

Archie69
November 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Cool. Thanks everyone.
So I take it based on Paqmans answer BARRY is on the new version of Ubuntu? and the positives outweigh the negatives. A clean install is what I was aiming to do anyway. Awesome.

howefield
November 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM
So I take it based on Paqmans answer BARRY is on the new version of Ubuntu?

Sure is.