PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xorg crashed on me!

Sugi
November 15th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I need some help, I think my xorg or gnome is failing on me. Every time I boot up, I get my nvidia logo, and log in screen. I log in, and then my screen turns black and stays like that.

BUT I can move the mouse around, even though I can't see anything, but black. None of gnome hotkeys work (ALT+F1). But I can indeed access the console (Ctrl+ALT+F4). I have tried reverting back to an old copy of the xorg, but that doesn't work.

So my guess is gnome is failing or the xorg. How should I fix this?

SPECS:
Ubuntu 9.04
Nvidia Card & drivers

Thanks,
Sugi

FIXED:

But at the moment for some reason it's working now. The last thing I did was failsafe gnome and went to "Nvidia X Server Settings". Copy the xorg.conf settings from there and pasted it into my own xorg.conf file. It worked after that. Note, I did this many times before, sometimes it did not even show my monitor. So I am kinda clueless why it just started working out of the blue. I ended up making a backup of it for future use.

SkyNet2029
November 15th, 2009, 03:52 AM
you could try resetting your xorg.conf settings, like this:

pop into a virtual terminal (ctrl+alt+f4)

then do

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
to reset the xserver configuration.

hope this helps

Sugi
November 15th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Sorry, I forgot to include that.

I have tried the following:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo nvidia-xconfig
None of these worked for me. I still get a black screen after log in. Though I can access failsafe gnome, but I can't use that for normal usage.

Sugi

falconindy
November 15th, 2009, 04:04 AM
`Xorg -configure` is the new way to reconfigure xorg.conf. However, if you haven't changed it, resetting it to the defaults may not help. Is there anything relevant in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

You could also try booting without an xorg.conf (rename it, don't delete it) at all just to see if you can log in that way.

Sugi
November 15th, 2009, 04:11 AM
'Xorg-configure' doesn't work. Maybe you misspelled the command? I have a bunch of files in the log directly with Xorg_____. Can I just replace them with the xorg.conf in the /etc/X11/ ?

Sugi

falconindy
November 15th, 2009, 04:29 AM
'Xorg-configure' doesn't work. Maybe you misspelled the command? I have a bunch of files in the log directly with Xorg_____. Can I just replace them with the xorg.conf in the /etc/X11/ ?

Sugi
Please re-read my post carefully. I didn't misspell it.

Sugi
November 15th, 2009, 05:10 AM
falconindy, 'Xorg-confgiure' did not work for me. I tried it couple of times and nothing happen. I am not sure if it's linked to only 9.10, because I am on 9.04.

But at the moment for some reason it's working now. The last thing I did was failsafe gnome and went to "Nvidia X Server Settings". Copy the xorg.conf settings from there and pasted it into my own xorg.conf file. It worked after that. Note, I did this many times before, sometimes it did not even show my monitor. So I am kinda clueless why it just started working out of the blue. I ended up making a backup of it for future use.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Sugi

falconindy
November 15th, 2009, 05:36 AM
`Xorg -configure` is the new way to reconfigure xorg.conf.

'Xorg-confgiure' did not work for me.
See a difference? It's not the backticks versus single quotes.