PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Verify a SDHC Card's Capacity

hanzj
November 15th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Hello,
Have just bought a no-name/generic SDHC memory card. It says 32 GB on the label, but when I plug it into my computer, the properyt dialog says "34 GB". Is there a way I could verify the capacity of the card? I've heard that some cards may appear to have a big volume, but in reality, don't have as much.

I'm currently copying gigabytes of files onto the SDHC card, but it's quite slow. So if you know of a faster way, please let me know.

Jon Monreal
November 15th, 2009, 03:26 AM
You could try "df -H" at the terminal. It lists the sizes of mounted partitions.

sandyd
November 15th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Hello,
Have just bought a no-name/generic SDHC memory card. It says 32 GB on the label, but when I plug it into my computer, the properyt dialog says "34 GB". Is there a way I could verify the capacity of the card? I've heard that some cards may appear to have a big volume, but in reality, don't have as much.

I'm currently copying gigabytes of files onto the SDHC card, but it's quite slow. So if you know of a faster way, please let me know.
the speed problem - thats normal for those cards, you dont get really good speeds with them.

disk space - the only way is to copy til you run out. i had a card once that showed 20 GB in gparted, 25 GB in fdisk and the dialog said 18 GB. turned out to only have 15GB

hanzj
November 15th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Jon,

df -H works..
It shows

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdc1 34G 14G 21G 41% /media/7443-1B51

Wow. I guess I got more capacity (34GB) than I paid for (32G).

hanzj
November 15th, 2009, 05:05 AM
the speed problem - thats normal for those cards, you dont get really good speeds with them.
You mean as compared with regular SD cards?

i had a card once that showed 20 GB in gparted, 25 GB in fdisk and the dialog said 18 GB. turned out to only have 15GB

Disk Usage Analyzer shows 109.9 GB Size. Wow! That's way off!
what's the fdisk command to show size?

Jon Monreal
November 15th, 2009, 09:51 AM
You mean as compared with regular SD cards?

Disk Usage Analyzer shows 109.9 GB Size. Wow! That's way off!
what's the fdisk command to show size?

It's true: while you may have gotten a decent amount of storage space, you probably sacrificed speed.

Also, I wouldn't count on it for extreme reliability either. I wouldn't store anything on it that I didn't have a copy of elsewhere.

As far as your second request, you could try "sudo sfdisk -l -uM". I don't believe you can get anything but blocks with fdisk ("sudo fdisk -l"). There's always "sudo parted -l" as well.