PDA

View Full Version : Power management question

sawbuck
November 15th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I've had this issue with a fresh install of Mythbuntu 9.04 and continuing after adding the Ubuntu desktop. It is a first for ANY installation.

I cannot get the monitor to turn off after whatever time I set in power management. I've enen tried different screen savers and times although I usually set it up for going to blank screen saver in 5 minutes and powering off in 10 after lapsed idle. No matter what it continues to stare into the room forever never blinking.

Any ideas anyone?

shawnisalk
December 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
I have the opposite problem. I want it to stay on no matter what, but it goes blank after ten minutes regardless. *shrug*

shawnisalk
December 3rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
I wonder if the solution you are looking for is here...editing xorg.conf

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1325308&highlight=power+management+blank+screen

sawbuck
December 7th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Dunno when but the problem seemed to fix itself, Maybe it was one of the updates. I seemed to recall a fleeting glimpse of something power related. Will wait til next time......

shawnisalk
December 9th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Ironically, the xorg.conf suggestion I made worked for me for a little while, then crashed X and corrupted .Xauthority, so I'm back where I started.

sawbuck
December 12th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Ironically, the xorg.conf suggestion I made worked for me for a little while, then crashed X and corrupted .Xauthority, so I'm back where I started.

I've been tied up with other parts of life but noticed the monitor was again not powering down but - once more for some strange reason - it corrected itself. I have no clue what's going on but will have to look at the xorg.conf.

There is an issue I've not had time to sort out that is unrelated this. I have a conflict between my NVIDIA graphics card and HVR 1600 tuner card that manifests itself in flashing and stuttering during boot and never finishing a boot unless I add a vmalloc=256m to the kernel boot line in grub.cfg. Once added it will boot fine and operate normally - until the next kernel update which wipes out the edit. Prior to 9.10, there was a way to make the edit survive the kernel updates. Just a little pecularity of an open software OS, I guess.

matt06
December 12th, 2009, 04:59 AM
sawbuck,

Are you using GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT to add the vmalloc parameter? Take a look the The Grub 2 Guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275) if you haven't already.

sawbuck
December 18th, 2009, 04:11 AM
sawbuck,

Are you using GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT to add the vmalloc parameter? Take a look the The Grub 2 Guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275) if you haven't already.

Matt06,

No, I haven't been using that, I have been editing "grub.cfg" each time the kernel is updated. I looked at and bookmarked your pointer to the grub 2 guide and will try to implement the suggested optional file. Looks like it would make life easier if I did it right. But that's for another day....

Thanks for the tip.