PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cant connect with att data card

yllek
November 15th, 2009, 12:42 AM
i have installed ubuntu 9.10 and im using an att data card when i stick the card in the usb slot my screen freezes when im in ubuntu it wont recognize the card. so how do i fix this. i have found certain things to do but i have to be connected to the internet and i cant in ubuntu. i can in windows xp. any help

driftertx
November 15th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I use ATT as my carrier for my datacard in ubuntu and I've had the best luck with the pc cards (sierra wireless and option wireless cards).

One thing you might try is turn off your PC then plug in the usb card prior to booting. My older sierra wireless card would not work unless it was booted while the card was in the slot. I also noticed that if I removed it during usage it would occasionally lock up. The newer gear seems more forgiving and more stable. If you still can't get it to work you can buy sierra wireless pc cards/pc card express slot cards (with no contract attached) for around 40$ used on eBay.

Make sure you go through the network manager and create a connection profile under the mobile wireless for ATT data connect. Another issue I've found to watch out for is you may have to try to get it to establish connections a few times (4-5times) with ATT's network before it registers sometimes.

While some of these things suck to have to do it beats using microsoft's crappy OS. Hope this help!