PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trying to burn ISO's, but weird error

ah pook
November 15th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I keep trying to burn ISO dvd's but keep getting this error:
DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.NotFound: The given volume was not found

even though the disk seems done, it's not. any ideas?

thanks in advance

Koala, 64-bit. ran fine before...

Paqman
November 15th, 2009, 11:42 AM
What software are you using for burning the DVD?

ah pook
November 15th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Brasero..but I tried Gnomebaker with the same error..

corncob
November 15th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I keep trying to burn ISO dvd's but keep getting this error:
DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.NotFound: The given volume was not found

even though the disk seems done, it's not. any ideas?

Koala, 64-bit. ran fine before...

Does the "seemingly done" disk work? If so, I wouldn't worry about the message. Are you opening the disc burner automatically by inserting a blank disk? For some reason Brasero seems to be better behaved if you open it from the applications menu instead.

ah pook
November 16th, 2009, 07:44 PM
no, they don't work. and my dvd player recognizes older dvds, just not ones burned since the upgrade....

ranch hand
November 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I feel it incombent on me to ask - did you check the md5sum?

ah pook
November 17th, 2009, 07:18 PM
where would I find that?

ranch hand
November 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Go to the download page where you got your ISO and there should be a whole bunch of links on the bottom of the page.

The md5sums are at the top of that list.

Once you have that, you need to see what your ISO comes up with;

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

NightwishFan
November 17th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Hi. I believe this error might be related to the new device manager. I remember seeing an error like this, but my disks worked. I think it just means the disk is still mounted, so it could not mount or unmount it at that time. I am not an expert that is just supposition, however.

Do the disks actually have burned content or are they blank? Check using Ubuntu by ejecting and reloading the disk, and opening them in the file browser. Even a DVD movie will have a VIDEO_TS directory.

ah pook
November 18th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Yes, they have burned content. These ISO's are made by Devede, from avi's I've gotten. If it's simply a matter of unmounting the disks, ok, no problem. Let me try one and try that. For some reason, I don't think thery're finalized. but I could be wrong. Again.

ranch hand
November 18th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Did you check the md5sum? There is no reason what so ever to burn a bad ISO.

corncob
November 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Did you check the md5sum? There is no reason what so ever to burn a bad ISO.

I think one time I copied the .iso rather than its contents if that makes any sense. Anyway, it wouldn't boot and I tried something slightly different and the new disk showed the contents (casper, isolinux, install, etc) in file manager and was bootable. It was a long time ago and I can't remember the details -- used a different program maybe.

jmore9
November 18th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I always use k3b. Never have had problem with it.

NightwishFan
November 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I think you can manually finalize with one of Ubuntu's command line programs, such as wodim.

ah pook
December 5th, 2009, 03:19 AM
K3B works fine. nothing else works, but that's perfect.

Thank you all...

daqron
January 26th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I have been having this problem too (and many other annoying issues) since the upgrade to 9.10.

In my case, the error occurs when Brasero attempts to eject the burned media. It would seem that in 9.10 the way discs are mounted has changed, and I frequently have to click the eject icon in the file browser (like a Mac) in order to get my media out. Previously the hardware eject button worked, and Brasero never had a problem kicking out completed discs. This new behavior is strange and bothersome, but unlike the original poster, my burned media works fine despite the error.