PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] opening a shell script

rossjman1
November 14th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I have a shell script that is executable. When I open it in gnome and choose open in terminal, the script runs fine. I recently switched to KDE4, and I can't figure how to execute the file without going to the terminal and executing it via command. How can I get KDE to run a shell script?
In the open with dialogue, is there a command I should use (like sh %U) where %U is the symbol for the filename (don't know if it is)?
I'm using Kubuntu 8.10.

To illustrate my point:
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1299/snapshot1eg.png
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2617/snapshot2qk.png

SkyNet2029
November 14th, 2009, 11:58 PM
input

konsole

where it asks for what to run it with

rossjman1
November 15th, 2009, 12:05 AM
input

konsole

where it asks for what to run it with

First thing I tried, doesn't work (I also checked run in console). It just opens up a blank konsole window, not executing the file at all.

rossjman1
November 15th, 2009, 01:06 AM
bump. I also tried using sh. Is there a symbol that represents the file path and name, so I can perform something like this: sh %U (where %U is the filename). Why is the default action to open with a text editor?!?!?!?!?

rossjman1
November 15th, 2009, 07:37 AM
bump, someone that uses kde regularly should know this...

rossjman1
November 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
bump

rossjman1
November 15th, 2009, 11:04 PM
really no one knows?

falconindy
November 15th, 2009, 11:13 PM
/usr/bin/bash ?

Dunno, not a KDE guy. In Gnome, there's no need to associate shell scripts with a program -- it Just Works (tm).

Old *ix Geek
November 15th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I had no idea how to do this, as I run scripts from a command line. But I thought I'd give it a whirl...and ended up frustrated!

I did find a method that works, though. Install Nautilus. It doesn't matter that it's for GNOME. I already had it installed (I use a lot of GNOME programs on KDE), but really never use it as Dolphin is so cool. But with no tinkering at all Nautilus did exactly what you're after. It gives you various choices including running the program.

Note that if your script doesn't provide for some delay or interaction when it's finished, it'll close without feedback/acknowledgment.

I'm looking at Nautilus-related stuff in Synaptic right now, and although I DON'T have this installed, there's something called "nautilus-actions" you might want to install. Its description says:

Nautilus actions is an extension for Nautilus, the GNOME file manager.

It allows the configuration of programs to be launched on files selected in the Nautilus interface.

NSLW
June 7th, 2011, 07:30 PM
1) Add bash+run in terminal for x-shellscript
2) Turn off executable on script

That should work.