PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wireless card not working

chriscross93
November 14th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Hello,
I just tried installing a Linksys WPC300N in my laptop (Karmic) using ndisgtk. I pointed it at the driver (.inf) file and it seems to have worked (after reboot). The lights on the card now light up. Also, it now shows up when I run lspci in a terminal. ...But no wireless networks show up when I search (using Wicd). I don't know where to go from here, I've been googling and on the wiki for a while now. Thanks in advance.

Bunnybugs
November 14th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Hello,
I just tried installing a Linksys WPC300N in my laptop (Karmic) using ndisgtk. I pointed it at the driver (.inf) file and it seems to have worked (after reboot). The lights on the card now light up. Also, it now shows up when I run lspci in a terminal. ...But no wireless networks show up when I search (using Wicd). I don't know where to go from here, I've been googling and on the wiki for a while now. Thanks in advance.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download

Here you will probably find your answer!

chriscross93
November 14th, 2009, 11:51 PM
The driver already seems to be in place, I just need to make it talk with Wicd (or another network manager, I'm open to change). Is the package on linuxwireless a compilation of drivers? I'm not really sure what it is, or what to do...

Bunnybugs
November 15th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Well, What if you use the default network manager??

I didn't have any trouble with wireless untill I tried to change the software... changed back, and no trouble!

chriscross93
November 15th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Will do. Thanks for your time, will report back soon.

chriscross93
November 15th, 2009, 12:24 AM
ALMOST THERE!

I re-installed the default ubuntu network manager, now I can see wireless networks but cannot connect. I put in the WPA key, the card ACT light blinks quickly for about 15 secs. and it does not connect. Could it be an issue with WPA? Is there something else I need? Thanks again for your understanding, I'm new to the wireless side of ubuntu...

Bunnybugs
November 15th, 2009, 12:30 AM
There are some codecs you'll need to install from Synaptic...

Search for WEP and WPA etc, etc, those are keysystems for WiFi

chriscross93
November 15th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Awesome. Is there anything I need to do to use this Draft N card with a G network?

chriscross93
November 15th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Ok, WPA supplicant driver was already installed. I disabled encryption on my network, now it works. The problem is that I really need it to be secure...

EDIT
I installed the GUI for the WPA Supplicant Driver. The Gui does not seem to see my card, how do make them talk?

0nelove
May 19th, 2010, 12:32 AM
# Chipset: Broadcom Corporation BCM43XG
# pciid: 14E4:4329

old thread, but after dancing around with this for a couple hours, I figured I'd share some notes relating to one possible solution in case somebody finds this thread searching for an answer.

Problem: linux fails to recognize Linksys WPC300N V1 PCMCIA card

Solved by:

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper

go here:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ndiswrapper/index.php?title=Linksys_WPC300N

You'll need to extract that driver (a couple times) to get at the goodies inside. dump the guts (you can skip the big cab files) into a folder & then:

sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

ndiswrapper -l will show you the driver that is now associated with the card. reboot & hopefully you'll be closer than before.

other misc useful commands:
lspci
lshw -C network
ndisgtk package was used during another unsuccessful attempt. It's just a gtk frontend for ndiswrapper, I think.

cheers all & good luck!