PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] "Ubuntue is running in low graphics mode"

DoctorLes
November 14th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Hello,

I have been running Ubuntu/Kubuntu since 8.04 on my HP laptop, ZD 8000 with ATI Radeon Mobility graphics, X600. It has always given me fits and I can't recall my eventual fixes with each update but I think it was blind, trial-error mostly.

Anyway, I had 9.04 FINALLY running but oh no, I had to have 9.10. So I installed it from a net upgrade. After the usual couple hours or so I was ready to reboot. Of course I get the above, persistent error message, with the added info: "Your screen, graphics card and input device settings could not be detected correctly; you will need to configure these yourself."

I can get into text mode, as root, with networking support. I've tried all the options in the fixit screen but no help or apparent change.

Now I don't even get to the above error: I've got a new one now:

"The following error was encountered. You may need to update your configuration to solve this.

(EE) Problem parsing the config file
(EE) Error parsing the config file

I note it doesn't specify what config file it refers to. I made a copy of the Xorg failsafe file, after renaming my old Xorg config file, and renamed the copy as the Xorg config file. Still same error message.

I have to say, this has consumed days and hours of my time; I'm about to give up on Ubuntu. I figure the problem is really in the Radeon drivers but what to do.

Thanks

Les

Old *ix Geek
November 14th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Sorry you're having problems. Personally, I decided to hold off on going from 9.04 -> 9.10 because of all the problems I've heard about. It's just not worth the bother to me at this point. Have you thought about going back to 9.04?