PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] alias command in login script

bunburya
November 14th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hi all,

I am running Kubuntu 9.10 on my laptop. I'm pretty much computer illiterate so I'm trying to educate myself a little on the workings of the OS. I'm taking a look at the tutorial at www.linuxcommand.org because I like the way it is written.

Basically I am here : http://www.linuxcommand.org/wss0020.php, I am being told to put the line alias l='ls -l' in my .bash_profile file so that it will be implemented on login. In my $HOME directory, however, I do not have a .bash_profile file, rather I have a .profile file instead. I assumed it did the same thing. So I put the aforementioned alias line in .profile, logged out, logged in again, tried the command l in Yakuake (I'm running a graphical interface and doing all this through Yakuake, dunno if that's relevant) and got nothing. If I simply type alias l='ls -l' into Yakuake then it works but it does not seem to be executing that line at login.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or how to get it to execute that line at login? Thank you in advance.

By the way my .profile as edited reads as follows:

# ~/.profile: executed by the command interpreter for login shells.
# This file is not read by bash(1), if ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login
# exists.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.
# the files are located in the bash-doc package.

# the default umask is set in /etc/profile; for setting the umask
# for ssh logins, install and configure the libpam-umask package.
#umask 022

# if running bash
if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" ]; then
# include .bashrc if it exists
if [ -f "$HOME/.bashrc" ]; then
. "$HOME/.bashrc"
fi
fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

alias l='ls -l'

impert
November 14th, 2009, 10:18 PM
If you have a .bashrc you can put it there, I think.

cariboo
November 14th, 2009, 10:34 PM
The aliases can go in either /etc/bash.bashrc, or /etc/skel/.bashrc

bowlesling
November 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
@bunburya--

I've been playing with similar stuff from the tutorial. From what I've gathered, the absolute best thing is to read the bash man (the manual) --- of course this is recommended for anything. Beside that, there is some useful info if you read the comments in your .bashrc and .profile .

What is suggested in those comments is to create .bash_aliases through your text editor (I use mainly emacs, and also TeXmacs and gedit) for all your aliases---though they will work in .bashrc. In fact, if you read in your .bashrc you will see a place for defining aliases:

# Alias definitions.
# You may want to put all your additions into a separate file like
# ~/.bash_aliases, instead of adding them here directly.
# See /usr/share/doc/bash-doc/examples in the bash-doc package.

if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
. ~/.bash_aliases
fi

# enable color support of ls and also add handy aliases
#if [ -x /usr/bin/dircolors ]; then
# eval "`dircolors -b`"
# alias ls='ls --color=auto'
#alias dir='dir --color=auto'
#alias vdir='vdir --color=auto'

#alias grep='grep --color=auto'
#alias fgrep='fgrep --color=auto'
#alias egrep='egrep --color=auto'
#fi

# some more ls aliases
#alias ll='ls -l'
#alias la='ls -A'
#alias l='ls -CF'

I have commented out all that stuff (putting a # at each line), and copied it over to .bash_aliases ($HOME/.bash_aliases) leaving the color definitions for ls active. Notice also, that .bashrc actually suggests using alias ll='ls -l' (I think the tutorial is just using the alias l='ls -l' as an example, not as a suggestion for a useful alias).

As far as .bash_profile works: bash will read some files first --- .bash_profile and .bash_login will the be the first consecutively --- and even though I've seen recommendations for having .bash_profile I can't seem to get it to work very well... and it seems like you'd have to re-define more PATHs than you would if you used .bashrc and .bash_aliases (NOTICE IN THE ABOVE, THAT .bash_aliases $PATH IS ALREADY GIVEN FOR YOU, YOU JUST NEED TO CREATE THE FILE).

Here is the comment in .profile, with the $PATH shown for .bashrc:

# ~/.profile: executed by the command interpreter for login shells.
# This file is not read by bash(1), if ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login
# exists.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.
# the files are located in the bash-doc package.

# the default umask is set in /etc/profile; for setting the umask
# for ssh logins, install and configure the libpam-umask package.
#umask 022

# if running bash
if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" ]; then
# include .bashrc if it exists
if [ -f "$HOME/.bashrc" ]; then
. "$HOME/.bashrc"
fi
fi

Even when I tried working with .bash_profile, it didn't pass over .bashrc --- I chalk this up to me not being able to do it right. Long story short... I read about some problems using .bash_profile... but using .bashrc and creating .bash_aliases has not given me any trouble... and it seems like .bashrc and .profile are encouraging this method.

Lastly, in .bashrc I have the path for shell scripts in my newly created $HOME/bin directory:

#path for shell scripts on start up
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

There is also a path defined for $HOME/bin in .profile:

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

But I took this out because my scripts in $HOME/bin ran fine with the path defined in .bashrc (I think either way will work, I'm not sure then benefits of one over the other i.e., export command over if ... then ... fi). Maybe I'll re-define the $PATH in my .bashrc as an if and see what happens... I suspect it will work just as well.

Hope this helps.