PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu remix vs ubuntu (desktop)

nene7
November 14th, 2009, 08:38 PM
hi,
i buy a toshiba nb-205 (netbook) and i want to install ubuntu but i dont like the UNR i can install ubuntu (desktop) beside is not optimizade to netbook. What are the good and bad things to install ubuntu (desktop) beside ubuntu remix?

coldReactive
November 14th, 2009, 08:46 PM
toshiba nb-205

You made a terrible buy for linux.

I know because I had one.

First thing you'll notice is that sound will not work through the speaker.
Second thing you'll notice is that the battery drains even if turned off.
Third thing you'll notice is the hibernate feature may be disable or broken.

You won't be able to return it if you put linux on it.

You won't get more than 180 USD for it if you sell it on craigslist or something similar.

nene7
November 14th, 2009, 08:49 PM
jeje, ok. you say DONT install linux in your toshiba. But i have another toshiba satellite A135-s4527 and it work great with linux. That right firt the speaker dont work but that can be fix and other things.

bwzz
November 14th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I have Acer Aspire One and I tried UNR and dektop versions, I would say that the Desktop is much better, even on my 8.9" screen

FireFox was very slow on UNR and eventually it stopped working (can't start).
I'm running the 9.10 desktop now for almost 3 weeks and very happy.

However, don't know if u'r hardware is 100% compatible.

coldReactive
November 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM
jeje, ok. you say DONT install linux in your toshiba. But i have another toshiba satellite A135-s4527 and it work great with linux. That right firt the speaker dont work but that can be fix and other things.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/110784

utc271
November 16th, 2009, 06:11 AM
am very surprised tht new laptops can't handle linux.i installed ubuntu 9.10 on my 2 yr old inspiron 6400 a few days ago and it performs well above my expectations...except for one thing...the mobile broadband dongle refused to work...browsing thru this forum helps fixed the problem.
i`ve tried both versions but decided the desktop version is better than the remix......but then one man`s meat is another man`s poison

coldReactive
November 16th, 2009, 07:02 AM
am very surprised tht new laptops can't handle linux.i installed ubuntu 9.10 on my 2 yr old inspiron 6400 a few days ago and it performs well above my expectations...except for one thing...the mobile broadband dongle refused to work...browsing thru this forum helps fixed the problem.
i`ve tried both versions but decided the desktop version is better than the remix......but then one man`s meat is another man`s poison

My ThinkPad T41 Laptop has serious issues with linux, specifically Xubuntu.

3rdalbum
November 16th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Any computer that can run Netbook Remix can run regular Ubuntu. The biggest difference is the interface.