PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Networking issue - custom location problem

Dysphonia
November 14th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Right, I know little about how stuff works, so there could well be something stupidly easy that I've missed, but bare with me.

In order to connect to the outside internet, I need to set up a samba connection (at least thats what I'm 99.9% sure the smb:// is in the url), from my uni halls, due to them requiring IT account authentication before access to the internet is given. The instructions say to use the custom location setting. Fine. I stick the specific location for my account into the URL box, check the bookmark box, and add a name (sdrive in this case). Heres the error I get when I hit connect

http://i33.tinypic.com/4j2pnq.jpg

I have literally no idea what is causing it; any help would be appreciated, as afaik it should work pretty much flawlessly.

Dysphonia
November 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I've done some looking around, and I can't seem to find anything relating to this at all; I still have no idea why I'm getting this error either, just doesn't seem to make sense.

I'm pretty much ready to give up on the whole thing, after the mess that was installation. _

Dysphonia
November 14th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I've even tried reinstalling Ubuntu, but to no avail. Is there any way I can set up a custom location server without using the connect to server interface?

Iowan
November 14th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Places>Network has a location bar that might let you enter a manual address.
smb:// is in the original URI? (That part doesn't show in your screenshot.)