PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] Samba connects to wrong IP

Thelasko
November 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I am trying to connect two Ubuntu machines via Samba. One is a Hardy Heron desktop machine and the other is a Karmic Mythbuntu laptop. When I try to connect the desktop to the laptop it appears to connect to an IP address that isn't on my network (208.69.34.132, an OpenDNS server). However, the correct address is a local one (192.168.1.xxx).

If I enter smb://192.168.1.xxx into nautilus it works. Anybody have any idea why this is happening? Is Samba trying to resolve the host name via OpenDNS. It's set to look at lmhosts first.

spd106
November 13th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Can you see the host by using nmblookup?

If not then you will need to check that Netbios is set-up correctly.

Useful link:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/integrate-ms-networks.html

Hope that helps.

puppywhacker
November 13th, 2009, 09:25 PM
you might consider making samba server on your laptop to only listen to the internal network.

in /etc/samba/smb.conf

interfaces = 192.168.1.0/24

It is ultimately up to the order of the name resolving that get the name translated into the wrong ip-address. By default the resolve order is

name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast

which means that first the /etc/lmhosts, than the /etc/hosts than the wins server and than a broadcast is used to identify the samba name. This order is different than your normal internet resolving set in /etc/resolv.conf