PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Virtualbox shared files

trevorc
November 13th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I have Virtualbox and Windows Vista as a guest on Ubuntu 9.1
I need to share files between the two OS or get usb support between the two
I have read some of the answers to similar questions and tried them but to no avail. Can someone guide a complete beginner OAP with an easy to understand solution please

Soul-Sing
November 13th, 2009, 10:56 AM
you have to install guestadditions: devices: Install Guest Additions”

terminal:

cd /media/cdrom0

sudo bash ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run

devices: shared folders: machines folders: add/share window:
path to your shared folder

mount shared map:

cd /mnt

sudo mkdir share

sudo mount -t vboxsf Sharedmap /mnt/share

trevorc
November 13th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks for your reply, I have guest additions already installed and then I get baffled, to me the rest of it seems too technical, could you break it down into more explained detail so that I could print the page and follow step by step guides to get this working please

howefield
November 13th, 2009, 03:43 PM
...could you break it down into more explained detail

Why don't you watch the videos on the virtualbox website, which explain how to do this ?

This will most likely answer your queries, then if you have any questions after that, post them.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBoxTV

The third video down the page takes care of it, but the others may be worth watching as well, each one is only about 10 minutes long.

konqueror7
November 13th, 2009, 03:56 PM
go to your VMs settings, then Shared Folders, add a new folder by exploring the directory. then in your Vista, go to Run and type,

net use x:\\vboxsvr\sharedfolder

'x:' is where you want to mount it on Vista, and
'sharedfolder' is the same as what you named your shared folder in Shared Folders

you may also want to adding the shared folder by using the 'Mount Network Drive' in My Computer and explore the folder in '\\vboxsvr\'.