PDA

View Full Version : Please help me figure out what this means so I can use my computer! Urgent.

selenesagaz
November 13th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I just upgraded to the 9.10 Netbook edition from 9.04 netbook edition and everything was great until I tried to switch to classic mode; now I can't seem to access anything. The only thing that appears is the desktop with no panels no nothing.

I found...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/desktop-switcher/+bug/349519

But I do not speak this tech language it seems cause I have no clue what to do.

Someone please help me!

I have a Dell MIni 9n.

sledge73
November 13th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I hate to be the one but after reading the report my suggestion would be to reinstall & not change to classic mode. Evidently they haven't fixed the bug yet.

selenesagaz
November 13th, 2009, 06:13 AM
All because I tried to switch it to classic mode? Just to see what it was...

stoogiebuncho
November 13th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I haven't tested this to see if it works, since I am not running netbook remix. But judging from what I read on the bug report you linked to, this is what you need to do:

1) Press Alt+F2. This brings up the "Run Application" box. Type
gnome-terminal and press enter.

2) Now you should have a terminal window open. Enter the following command:

gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/session/required_components_list --type list --list-type=string ["windowmanager","panel","filemanager"]

3) Reboot your computer. You should be in working "Classic" mode now.

If you want to switch back to netbook mode, go ahead and try it. If it does not display properly, follow the steps above to open a terminal window, but type in this command instead:

gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/session/required_components_list --type list --list-type=string ["windowmanager","panel"]

I hope that makes sense to you.

selenesagaz
November 13th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I can not get terminal to open

stoogiebuncho
November 14th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Sorry for the delayed response.

Another way to get to a terminal is to press Ctrl+Alt+F1. You can enter the command there, and when you're finished, press Ctrl+Alt+F7 to get back to your desktop.