PDA

View Full Version : Karmic boot help needed in ABT

kansasnoob
November 11th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Apologies in advance for posting in the "wrong place", but OTOH I'd seen an older thread here reminding testers to help out with Karmic noobs.

I've been trying my best to help folks at Absolute Beginners Talk to sort out boot problems on both fresh installs and upgrades.

In recent days I've failed miserably!

For now I'm going to waste no more of my time, or increase the new Ubuntu users frustration, trying to sort out the grub2 problems but rather head them towards reverting to legacy grub.

Beyond that, I don't have all the answers regarding legacy grub! I have very limited experience working with multiple drives.

This is not a complaint!

It's a cry for help!

I tried a bunch of distros before settling on Ubuntu and this is just the kind of thing that would have kept me "distro-hopping"! (Well I do that anyway just to see what the other guys are doing).

But, seriously, if you have some knowledge of grub2 or legacy grub or boot problems of any nature HELP!

Please. We could use a caljohnsmith or meierfra right now!

I want everyone to love Ubuntu as much as I do.

ranch hand
November 11th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Apologies in advance for posting in the "wrong place", but OTOH I'd seen an older thread here reminding testers to help out with Karmic noobs.

I've been trying my best to help folks at Absolute Beginners Talk to sort out boot problems on both fresh installs and upgrades.

In recent days I've failed miserably!

For now I'm going to waste no more of my time, or increase the new Ubuntu users frustration, trying to sort out the grub2 problems but rather head them towards reverting to legacy grub.

Beyond that, I don't have all the answers regarding legacy grub! I have very limited experience working with multiple drives.

This is not a complaint!

It's a cry for help!

I tried a bunch of distros before settling on Ubuntu and this is just the kind of thing that would have kept me "distro-hopping"! (Well I do that anyway just to see what the other guys are doing).

But, seriously, if you have some knowledge of grub2 or legacy grub or boot problems of any nature HELP!

Please. We could use a caljohnsmith or meierfra right now!

I want everyone to love Ubuntu as much as I do.
+2581470
Running into stuff that is the hardcore just won't work variety. Some have had to wipe their upgrade and do clean installs.

The problems have let up numbers wise. The severity is staggering.

I think there are some basic hardware problems.

kansasnoob
November 12th, 2009, 01:32 AM
A lot of fresh installs ain't goin' so well either.

I just thought crying help might help.

You do really good!

ronacc
November 12th, 2009, 12:21 PM
karmic definately has a problem with multi drive installs . It seems to sometimes put grub2 in the mbr of the wrong drive , also sometimes writes the wrong UUID into the boot stanza in grub.cfg .