PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Stellarium - screen corruption

Kevbert
November 10th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Has anyone tried running Stellarium 0.10.2-1 from the Lucid repositories ?
I've run Stellarium in 9.04 with no problems, but in Lucid the screen doesn't seem to refresh properly, there is nothing shown by default (just a black screen) and the command/help windows don't close when the close (X) is clicked.
Attached is a screenshot.

ranch hand
November 10th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Never heard of it, looks neat. Down loading now. Will let you know.

Thanks for letting me know about it.

alphacrucis2
November 11th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Has anyone tried running Stellarium 0.10.2-1 from the Lucid repositories ?
I've run Stellarium in 9.04 with no problems, but in Lucid the screen doesn't seem to refresh properly, there is nothing shown by default (just a black screen) and the command/help windows don't close when the close (X) is clicked.
Attached is a screenshot.

It is an OpenGL app so it could be a video driver problem. It runs fine for me under 9.10 with the dreaded proprietary fglrx driver. I can't test it on my Lucid box right now as I am at a different location.

alphacrucis2
November 11th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Never heard of it, looks neat. Down loading now. Will let you know.

Thanks for letting me know about it.

It's a great tool for stargazers like me.:D

ranch hand
November 11th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I got involved in too much stuff today to try it and now I am back on 9.04. I will give it a whack in the morning.

All I run is the generic driver. My ATI card is not well treated any other way.

alphacrucis2
November 11th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Just a thought for the OP. Try out google earth and see if that has similar problems.

ronacc
November 11th, 2009, 06:23 AM
runs fine here with both the default video driver and the repo Nvidia 185.18.36 . It is very sluggish with the defaule ( vesa ? ) driver but no screen corruption . satisfyingly snappy with the nvidia driver .

ronacc
November 11th, 2009, 06:27 AM
@ ranch hand there are several astronomy apps in the repos , celestia is also nice .

ranch hand
November 11th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I have heard of that one, think I took a look once.

I downloaded the one in question just to try it and see if it worked. The way I am set up this time lets me play more AND get more work done boinc wise.

Another advantage of this set up is that boinc is running the way it does here on my usual OS. Cpus at 100% most of the time. Lounge Lizard had better be up to it or it WILL show.

This app is a video using app too so it aught to actually call on a cpu at least a little.

ronacc
November 11th, 2009, 07:13 AM
boinc is designed not to slow down your system , it may use 100% cpu but it only takes what isn't needed by something else and it releases back cpu when something else needs it , it runs at a high "nice" setting .

Kevbert
November 11th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Just checked the video driver (for my Nvidia 7600 GS) and I've found that the Nvidia 185.18.36 repo driver may be the problem as I'm using 180.44 in 9.04.
In 9.04 I can even use BOINC running in the background (always active) with no problems.
I've raised a bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bug/480553) on this.

ronacc
November 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
hmm , strange , last night I was not getting the corruption with the 185.18.36 driver , this morning I installed the 190.42 driver to try that , it gave the corruption so I reverted to 185.18.36 and now it is giving the corruption.

ranch hand
November 11th, 2009, 05:01 PM
That depends on how you set the power preferences. I have them set so that 9.04 is riding the edge of the catastrophy curve. So far the Stoned Lizard is holding up better than my usual 9.04.

Back to this stellarium. I pulled it up and yes there was a blank, black screen. When the pointer wandered down in the lower left there was a change. This has to be the control panel, couldn't read a thing. Looked like several words stacked or something where there was text. couldn't really make out what the buttons were either as they were very blurry. There was an identifiable big red button that I was glad worked to kill this bugger.

I am running on the generic drivers, haven't even bothered to look to see if something is available. I may check it later if there is some news of ATI expanded support.

Kevbert
November 11th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Back to this stellarium. I pulled it up and yes there was a blank, black screen. When the pointer wandered down in the lower left there was a change. This has to be the control panel, couldn't read a thing. Looked like several words stacked or something where there was text. couldn't really make out what the buttons were either as they were very blurry. There was an identifiable big red button that I was glad worked to kill this bugger.

I am running on the generic drivers, haven't even bothered to look to see if something is available. I may check it later if there is some news of ATI expanded support.

So you're getting the same problems with an ATI card by the sound of it ? I thought it was the Nvidia driver. Tomorrow I may try transferring my Stellarium package from 9.04 to 10.04 (same version), just to see if it is the package that's somehow been corrupted. I doubt it though, as I've had video corruption, on a games package as well.

ranch hand
November 11th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Yuppers, Radeon HD 2400 Pro.

ronacc
November 12th, 2009, 01:34 AM
just for grins try starting stellarium from a terminal and see what errors it gives . I removed the repo stellarium and built from source to see if that helped , it didn't . I did find out in the process that stellarium is built against QT not GTK so that may be the problem , it may run ok on kubuntu but I haven't got a kubuntu install to test it on right now . the error I get when I run it from term is
StelAppGraphicsScene: drawBackground needs a QGLWidget to be set as viewport on the graphics view repeated many many times .

ronacc
November 12th, 2009, 06:44 AM
so much for that idea , I installed kubuntu 9.10 changed sources and updated , before update no corruption , after update corruption . So it isn't because stellarium is built against QT .It's not the drivers , it does it with both ati and nvidia and I get the same errors starting from term in Kubuntu as in gnome , it must be something about the version of opengl in lucid that it doesn't like .

Kevbert
November 12th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Please post a comment/confirm bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bug/480553). I've mentioned that it's not the nvidia driver at fault.

Edit: It could be any one of the QT libraries as they've all been updated...

ronacc
November 12th, 2009, 12:02 PM
confirmed your bug and added comment .

BrMBr
November 12th, 2009, 07:44 PM
That's sad!

Using Intel graphics here. Google Earth works perfectly, but take a look of what happens with Stellarium... :(

Edit: bug reported here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/stellarium/+bug/426417?comments=all).

Kevbert
November 13th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks ronacc.
BrMBr thanks for the link. It works fine for me on 9.04 but not 10.04. It must be an updated library file. I'll add a comment to your reference bug report (which is Intel specific).
Someone has suggested int may be a problem that occurs only when running compiz, but if I turn off compiz I still get the same problem.

ranch hand
November 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I found this interesting;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1324706

ronacc
November 13th, 2009, 03:52 PM
@ kevbert I notice that your bug has the nvidia graphics driver as the package that it is against , I think you need to change that to stellarium since the corruption occurs with ati and intel cards also .

Kevbert
November 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM
@ kevbert I notice that your bug has the nvidia graphics driver as the package that it is against , I think you need to change that to stellarium since the corruption occurs with ati and intel cards also .

I wasn't sure how to change it at the time, but now I've changed it to Stellarium. I still don't think that this package is the problem, but instead caused by a change in the opengl drivers as the exact same version of Stellarium works fine for me on 9.04. I'm going to raise another video bug on another package shortly.

Edit: I've raised a new bug on ace-of-penguins via apport (thanks ranch hand for that hint). The bug is here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ace-of-penguins/+bug/482225), please confirm.
Another one. Has anyone got alarm-clock to work ?

ronacc
November 13th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I agree that the "bug" is probably caused by the way that function is called in the new opengl , let the devs figure out where to do the adjusting , in stellarium or opengl . I was just concerned that by it being blamed on the Nvidia driver they would be looking in the wrong direction .

crchtiger
November 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM
That's sad!

Using Intel graphics here. Google Earth works perfectly, but take a look of what happens with Stellarium... :(

Edit: bug reported here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/stellarium/+bug/426417?comments=all).

same problem here

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

antony_css
November 27th, 2009, 02:44 PM
http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Known_issues_with_video_drivers

zenarcher
November 27th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Just a thought for the OP. Try out google earth and see if that has similar problems.

Same corruption here with Stellarium, but also Googleearth working fine.

Cheers,
zenarcher

Davidmcoop
November 27th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I love this app but the help menus just come up as fuzzy blocks which I can't read. I haven't had the time to investigate further

alsnowdon
December 11th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Stellarium is aware of this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/stellarium/+bug/426417
I have the same problem with a Lenovo Y430 Intel Mobile 4 Series 1280x800
Windows7 version runs fine, and Linux Mint 7 did, too.

bhaverkamp
December 11th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Still working fine for me.... 9.10 hpdv9000

Kevbert
December 11th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Stellarium is aware of this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/stellarium/+bug/426417
I have the same problem with a Lenovo Y430 Intel Mobile 4 Series 1280x800
Windows7 version runs fine, and Linux Mint 7 did, too.

That bug is specific to Intel, but it also occurs on ATI and Nvidia for Ubuntu 10.04, which is reported here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/stellarium/+bug/480553

Kevbert
February 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM
The new version of Stellarium 0.10.3 resolves my display problems. It's not yet available in the standard repos but is in Scott Howard's PPA (https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ppa).

Giwex
February 22nd, 2010, 06:54 AM
Latest update of LL (official repositories) brought 10.3 of Stellarium and the problem is finally gone :D

Kevbert
February 22nd, 2010, 02:59 PM
Yup 0.10.3 in the repos, but there's a newer version 0.10.4 which is to be made available by the developer which resolves some bugs.

snahrck
March 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Nice, but how to update it to 10.3 or 10.4 in karmic?