PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice

jlacroix
November 8th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Hello everyone,

I tried to find an open source customer management database program (sans Openoffice-base) but I was unable to find one, so I guess I'll have to program one on my own. The thing is, I never actually programmed anything useful before, though I do know programming basics.

I am strictly a C++/C# guy, so I want to stick with developing within those two languages. What I need to know is the best way to go about this, and what the best editor or IDE is for me to use. Also, I use Kubuntu and I'd prefer not to have any GTK apps unless it can't be helped.

The program is for my home based computer repair business. What I want it to do is keep a database by customer name and/or customer number, and underneath each customer is his or her contact info, system models and specs, invoice history, and repair industry. I am also hoping to keep track of sales tax, and an annual report of how much money I made.

With that in mind, which IDE should I go with (NOOB friendly please)? I've tried Qt Designer but I couldn't really find a way to make the buttons do anything or even link any element to code or anything useful. I tried OpenOffice-base but I hate it. I have KDevelop, but it seems to be really limited from what I remember in the KDE3 days. Any help is much appreciated.

RaptorJesus
November 9th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I would say that the best for you would most probably be Mono Develop. It's pretty slow and features less languages and doesn't really support any programs, but it does feature C++ and C# and is pretty noob friendly.

jlacroix
November 9th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I would say that the best for you would most probably be Mono Develop. It's pretty slow and features less languages and doesn't really support any programs, but it does feature C++ and C# and is pretty noob friendly.

Thank you.

I thought about Mono Develop, but when I tried to install it, it wanted to install the GNOME desktop. Is that normal? I really don't want any GNOME software unless I have to.

directhex
November 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Thank you.

I thought about Mono Develop, but when I tried to install it, it wanted to install the GNOME desktop. Is that normal? I really don't want any GNOME software unless I have to.

There are libraries for developing Qt software in C#, but there's no Qt-based IDE for doing so. You could use a text editor & craft your own makefiles, though