PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu crashes

Alex De Duck
November 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM
So I've been using the Jaunty Jackalope for a bit, never gave me serious issues.

When I heard Karmic Koala was out, of course, I wanted it. Rather a spiritual treeclimber than a Jackalope with liver issues. I fire up Ubuntu, and picked the option to upgrade.

For some reason, it tells me it can only do a partial upgrade, but I figured I'd just let it do its thing, and see if there are more updates it needs, later on.

So everything's installed - but when it's telling me to restart, and I press restart, it suddenly crashes. It's the first time I saw Ubuntu crash, so I sorta freaked and did a hard shut down.

I started it up, and nothing seemed off, so I start working on it.

BOOM. Two crashes in a ten minute timeframe.

I have no clue what's wrong exactly - it told me it didn't need updates, things worked spiffily (I was working Pidgin and one Mozilla window). So any clues to how I can figure out what went wrong?

EDIT: Just adding for clarity's sake, and if the info is needed: I've got a Dell studio 1735, and Ubuntu is dualbooted with Windows Vista.

Alex De Duck
November 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I'm looking into reinstalling ubuntu completely, but I'm working from a dualboot... Last time I installed Ubuntu, it just worked itself in, no need for me to do a manual separation, and I'm kind of afraid to do that part myself.

Alex De Duck
November 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Little help please?

I looked for the cat/etc/x11/xorg.conf file, but it wasn't present, so I took the steps described in another thread to make one by ctrl+alt+F1 - sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop - sudo Xorg-configure.

But then when I restarted, the file still wasn't there!

thelifela
November 8th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I would love someone to help I think we have about the same situation, I don't know what to right now, I am a newbie on ubuntu, long time user of windows, learning the shell currently, but not advanced enough to troubleshoot alone. Please help!

SunnyRabbiera
November 8th, 2009, 10:58 PM
You can do a fresh install of Karmic, try that you.
If you used advanced partitioning when setting up karmic you can just overwrite jaunty.
But i suggest backing things up.

bacardiandwatermelon
November 8th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Are there any messages in the log file viewer, and does it still happen if you boot up ur pc and do nothing? Or do you think you have isolated it to firefox and pidgen? I'd try reinstalling those first before doing a clean install. Remember to back up your home directory if you do reinstall :-)

yanceypd
November 8th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Another poster yesterday indicated that turning off the extra visual effects tab corrected his crashes with two systems. You might want to try that.

sandyd
November 8th, 2009, 11:30 PM
So I've been using the Jaunty Jackalope for a bit, never gave me serious issues.

When I heard Karmic Koala was out, of course, I wanted it. Rather a spiritual treeclimber than a Jackalope with liver issues. I fire up Ubuntu, and picked the option to upgrade.

For some reason, it tells me it can only do a partial upgrade, but I figured I'd just let it do its thing, and see if there are more updates it needs, later on.

So everything's installed - but when it's telling me to restart, and I press restart, it suddenly crashes. It's the first time I saw Ubuntu crash, so I sorta freaked and did a hard shut down.

I started it up, and nothing seemed off, so I start working on it.

BOOM. Two crashes in a ten minute timeframe.

I have no clue what's wrong exactly - it told me it didn't need updates, things worked spiffily (I was working Pidgin and one Mozilla window). So any clues to how I can figure out what went wrong?

EDIT: Just adding for clarity's sake, and if the info is needed: I've got a Dell studio 1735, and Ubuntu is dualbooted with Windows Vista.
hmm...
press ctrl+alt+f1
and type this in
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

the upgrade should go smoothly - i have the same laptop as you and im typing from it right now.

its the one with the 3650 ati card right?

if it is.... ill add the stuff you can do after i eat.

default xorg.conf should look like this

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg