PDA

View Full Version : Dban

jeb800e
November 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hi! I am planning on wiping some hard drives clean soon with DBAN (Derik's Boot and Nuke) and I am wondering, am I free to make copies of it as I please?
From the "Licenses" file I found within the .ISO, I found that it is under the GNU GPL v2 and the GNU Library GPL v2. I am planning on using DBAN 1.0.7, most likely.

Please reply ASAP! Thanks!
I will use the copies for personal use and to use on others' computers, as well.

kavon89
November 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Yes

Even if it weren't GPL, I can't imagine a license stopping someone from burning multiple copies.

jeb800e
November 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I mean, like burning a copy onto a CD, while keeping the downloaded copy on my computer, as well (that I copied to the CD).

Dark Aspect
November 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hi! I am planning on wiping some hard drives clean soon with DBAN (Derik's Boot and Nuke) and I am wondering, am I free to make copies of it as I please?
From the "Licenses" file I found within the .ISO, I found that it is under the GNU GPL v2 and the GNU Library GPL v2. I am planning on using DBAN 1.0.7, most likely.

Please reply ASAP! Thanks!
I will use the copies for personal use and to use on others' computers, as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

gletob
November 8th, 2009, 07:38 PM
The GPL allows for free Copying, Distribution, and use. You are free to make as many disc's as you want, you are free to distribute the iso, you are free to make modification, as long as the original code and code make is credited for their work. The Wikipedia page link above gives much information on the GPL, you should go ahead and read that for a better understanding of the GPL.