PDA

View Full Version : Possible to defrag in Linux (External, NTFS drives)

Cam42
November 8th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I'm thinking of getting a very large external drive, formatted NTFS, for sake of simplicity, because I use Windows and Linux. I'd like to know if I can defragment the drive from Linux. Is this possible? What app do I need?

SunnyRabbiera
November 8th, 2009, 05:36 AM
There is not much you can do to defrag a NTFS hard drive in linux natively, but you could try a windows defragger in wine though

Skripka
November 8th, 2009, 05:57 AM
There is not much you can do to defrag a NTFS hard drive in linux natively, but you could try a windows defragger in wine though

It is one of those things that IMO, if the drive contents are worth the effort of defrag-ing and not outright reformatting over, it is worth doing it right. Even under a Windows environment defrag-ing what is now a "small" 80 GB drive is an all-morning long project.

Xbehave
November 8th, 2009, 06:03 AM
does NTFS fix fragmentation on file creation? (like ext3 and co) If so then pydefrag may work for it.

Paqman
November 8th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Surely if you've got Windows, the easiest thing to do is just use that for defragging? If this is a storage drive it should need to be defragged very often anyway.