PDA

View Full Version : Application memory

Xbehave
November 8th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I have not done computer sciences, but I would like to learn about application's in memory, but I don't know enough to get google to do what i want and i haven't found a good guide so can somebody point me in the right direction.

A few questions i would like to understand are:

When a program I loaded into memory does it remain unchanged?
e.g do the bits that are in /usr/bin/firefox sit fixed in memory
and does this vary by langauge?
Does this mean that all the variable data is in the heap and stack?
How does a program know where it is when you ctrl+z/restore it? I mean if i press ctrl+z when firefox is loading a page then restore it latter how does it know that it was half-way through executing the render page calls
What does [anon] mean when i run pmap on a program?
Is there a tool i can use to dump out the data of a program? and if so could i put it back on the same executable latter to keep it working?

thx for answers or links or anything?

clonne4crw
November 8th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I would love to know too! I know theres a ton of stuff that does this stuff in Windows, but is there something like this for Linux?

3rdalbum
November 8th, 2009, 07:04 AM
This is waaay out of my knowledge stream, but I think in answer to number 3, it probably doesn't actually know when it has been paused (or if it knows, it doesn't need to do anything about it). The kernel just preserves the contents of the program's memory, and does not give the program any CPU time until the program is resumed.

koenn
November 8th, 2009, 02:02 PM
maybe this: http://www.memorymanagement.org/articles/begin.html will give you a few links / keywords to search with