PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unable to connect Evolution to mail servers

eddiewar
November 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Before asking this question please understand that I really am a LINUX NEWBIE :-)
so please address answers (if any) with this in mind....

I have just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 which includes the Evolution 2.28.1 mail program.
Everything installed OK until I tried to connect Evolution to my email servers etc.
Initially it would not accept the passwords so thinking these were wrong I changed these within the email program on the web. Now these passwords are working without a problem on my main computer which is using Vista Mail program so obviously the passwords are OK
When I attempt to send or receive in Evolution I am asked for the passwords for the two accounts I use. After entering these the dialog boxes show "waiting" and "fetching mail in the tray" After a considerable wait I receive error messages stating "failed to authenticate on POP server - broken pipe"
I am connecting to the server using a wired connection through a router on the other computer. This connection works without a problem when using a browser eg Firefox etc.
I tried uninstalling Evolution and re-installing but still cannot connect. I was planning on using this second computer to replace the machine with Vista but it seems as though i am stuck without email capabilities.
I really would appreciate any help - thanks

LewRockwell
November 7th, 2009, 11:32 PM
in all sincerity and complete humbleness

please install and use Thunderbird

thank you very much